1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

older style western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ddbuggins, Nov 29, 2004.

1. ddbuggins

ddbuggins Junior Member

HEy Everyone, Lokking for some answers. How do I load test for amps generated on my plow. I seem to have excessive draw from the plow when engaged.

2. ddbuggins

ddbuggins Junior Member

?

do I need to take off the motor and have it bench tested ? is there any tests while on the truck I can do? the moter is a rebuilt last year. Battery in truck is fully charged and the alternator appears to be charging, I just get excessive draw when i make contacts for engaging plow. Also in cab. left contact when engaged is sloppy at best seems like I need to force it! Help ! SNOW IS COMMING SOON!

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Check for bad pos.and especially neg/ground connections. If coroded this will cause excessive draw.

4. ddbuggins

ddbuggins Junior Member

another ?

THis plow (western ) Has 2 cables comming out of the plow unit. The casings are mostly off and have exposed the cable inside which are rusting. Would this affect my angling of the plow seeing I have had troubles going mostly left?

5. ddbuggins

ddbuggins Junior Member

thanks

Thanks Bolts, I have an older western with 2 cables also. THe cables are pretty fraid cold this NOT be good? Would this give me angling problems and should I replace before anything else?

6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like their seized. Try some wd40 and if they are still stiff then replace.

7. ddbuggins

ddbuggins Junior Member

attempted that

I attempted to spray cables with Wd40. Still operates the same. COuld the contacs in the cab at the joystick be faulty and can you get those or do you need a whole new joystick? Also Discovered A leak On the Small Box that contains 2 rect. shaped head bolts. I believe it to contains an O ring. That should be inexpensive and easy to replace right? Its the top one. : Are those cables in expensive as well? thanks for any HELP you Might HAve in this situation! :