1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older style western plow problem!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMCD, Jan 1, 2003.

1. JMCD

JMCD Junior Member

I have a 6'6" western plow on my jeep. Its the older style with the cables instead of the wiring for the controls. Heres the problem, It wont lift the blade up. It angles great and when I unhook the chain, the ram goes up and down just fine. Last year i had put in new seals on the lifter piston, and have not used the plow since. I also put all new fluid in the pump.
    I dont know much about the valves inside there but i kind of think that maybe its not building up enough pressure to lift the plow. The plow motor runs fine and when the piston gets maxxed out, there is no sound of a load on the motor.
    Im sure you guys all know whats causes this but i have no clue. so please help! thanks
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

before you condem the pump ,valving, or seals, why dont you try a cable adjustment.
  3. JMCD

JMCD Junior Member

thanks for replying.
    Isnt the cable adjustment just for the angling of the plow.
  4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

no, there's two cables, one for angeling, the other for lifting/lowering.
  5. JMCD

JMCD Junior Member

yea but there is only one that has the adjuster nuts on the cable
  6. mxz600

mxz600 Junior Member

Had the same problem. The one with the adjuster
    nut should be the up and down cylinder. Loosen the
    jam nut and have a buddy adjust the other nut to
    get you to the desired setting. By this I mean run
    the plow up and down while he turns the nut. It
    worked great for me, there is a fine line between
    how fast it goes up and how fast it goes down. Just
    figure out what you like.

7. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

The up/down has NO adjustment nut on the cable(if it does,it was replaced with an angle cable) to check if your unit works and isolating the cables do this:
    1st) remove rectangle side cover with 4 bolts,slip the cable off the pin on the lever, rotate lever with pliers so the pin is in the 5 o'clock position,have someone in the truck push your controller up so it will activate motor solonoid and the plow should raise if everything on your pump is adjusted correctly.
    if ok,you know your problem is isolated in the controller/cable.

rotate lever up to the 1 o'clock position and the plow should drop,watch your toes!! Goodluck, Plowtech. :rolleyes:
  8. rofoth3

rofoth3 Junior Member

western plow problem

79 western 7.5 cable
    My up ? down cable does not have adjustment nut.
    It has a set screw. if yours has this loosen set screw and push/pull cable houseing til you find the right spot.