1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

older steel hiniker questions

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by lazypine, Dec 12, 2014.

1. lazypine

lazypine Member

Hi, Just purchased a steel hiniker V-plow from a neighbor. It was purchaced new by him attached to a new 2005 Ford F350. There is no tag on the back side of the plow to show the model or serial number. I want to use this plow on my 2008 Chevy 3500HD truck. He still has the plow in his barn as he has traded the ford in on another truck. I only purchased the plow side and the truck side forks from him. All of the the truck side wiring was traded with the truck. He gave me the Owners manual he got when he purchased the truck and it seems the plow is an older model than the truck was. Im thinking it is a 1851 v-plow, not the 1852 that would match up the the year truck he purchased new. What were the differences between the 1851 and 1852 plows? And what is different between the two plows to be used on my 2008 Chevy?
    Thanks Neal

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

There is no difference between the two plows that will effect how it works on your truck. Especially since you need to get all new truck side wiring. Ouch!
    Oh yeah ... you will also need a different truck mount or a whole lot of fabrication work.
    This better have been one cheap plow. Otherwise not a good deal.

3. lazypine

lazypine Member

I knew I was gonna be looking at at least $1600 in parts to make it work on my truck, but the plow was well taken care of and kept inside . I'm hoping this thing will be reliable and since all of the truck side stuff will be new ( especially the wiring harness ) I shouldn't have all of the gremlins associated with old brittle wiring. I was more concerned about the availability if the wiring if there are major changes between the older vs the newer. I understand that the truck side quick hitch 1 are the same.

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Hopefully you didn't pay much more than $1500 for the plow.

5. lazypine

lazypine Member

i did not pay that much for the plow side. If there isn't any differences between the wiring , etc. I should end up with a working plow on my truck for under $3k, plus I still have my old Meyer to sell.
    Can anyone tell me the differences between the 1851 and the 1852 plows? Thanks Neal

6. bliz&hinikerDLR

The quick answer is that the 1851 was spring return wings with single acting cylinders. The 1852 was power return wings with double acting cylinders.

7. lazypine

lazypine Member

Ok, anyone know about the 1850 plow vs 1851?

8. lazypine

lazypine Member

1850 vs 1851

hi, can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between these plows.

9. bliz&hinikerDLR

It would really help if you just said what you really want to know.

10. lazypine

lazypine Member

I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to figure out what model this plow is. It was originally installed new on a new 2005 Ford. It's become obvious that the plow was older than the model year of the truck. If the decal was present on the back side of the plow, I wouldn't be asking any of these questions. The owners manual that I got doesn't mention the model number any where. I don't think I'm asking any unreasonable questions, isn't that what this website is for? Neal

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't this help?
    Year of trk and plow year will almost never add up so just b/c it's off an 05 don't mean squat

12. lazypine

lazypine Member

I know for certain that it's not an 1852, however the owners manual doesn't quite match the 1851 that hiniker has on line. I then found out that hiniker made an 1850 model up until 1999 then started to make the 1851. This plow definitely has the single acting cylinders an the return springs for the wings. Not sure what was changed between the 1851 and the 1850. Thanks Neal

13. dieselss

Here's your answer. POST PICTURES! You know there worth 20 pages of threads

14. lazypine

lazypine Member

i will when I get the blade to my house

15. bliz&hinikerDLR

1850 used a center cutting edge "puck" held on by a single bolt into the pivot pin. 1851 & 2 used the more common oval "shoe" held on by 3 bolts.

You can now add to your list of items to buy: a new plow side wire harness and possibly headlights to match the new truck wiring. I don't think the old grey wrapped truck harnesses are still available. Besides, it would be much better to not use that old system anyway.

Still not sure why you want to know. Did you actually buy the plow yet?

16. lazypine

lazypine Member

older hiniker v-plow

Thanks for the response, The plow was paid for last week. I knew from the start I was looking at a considerable expense, seeing that it comes with NO truck side parts. I took that into account when I made my offer. I was trying to get confirmation as to what model I actually purchased before ordering a bunch of parts. My understanding is that the underhood harness 38813033 will work for either the 1850 or 1851. the frame mounts are both quick hitch 1, and the headlight adapters are matched to my truck. The in cab controller is 36014021, and will also work for either plow. The reason I wanted to know exactly which plow I had was for future reference when ordering parts. The seller still has the plow in his pole building, hopefully I'll have all of the necessary parts sometime early next week. I will check the center cone when I pick up the plow.I'm sure I will have some questions during the install. Thank you for all of your help, Neal

17. dieselss

So still no pics.....

18. lazypine

lazypine Member

I still dont have the blade here........gotta get the mounts and wiring installed to go get it!!

19. dieselss

So all the questions, all the wondering? A request for pics to get the correct answer that you've been asking for for days and nothing? Nice.......

20. lazypine

lazypine Member

Doesn't mean that I still don't want to know, I will post pics as soon as I get it here. It's not somewhere I can take a picture of it!