1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older RT-3 no pump

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by spates, Apr 4, 2015.

1. spates

spates Junior Member

Spring is a great time, but not for moving wet snow on soft ground. I was backdragging the area and when I moved ahead a tire sunk into the mud and the plow edge caught. It snapped ahead pretty good. After that I lost control to the plow. I backed into the garage and found that the connections all look good. The solenoid was pulling and it appears that I am getting power to the pump. All of the lights work, the Smart hitch will click the solenoid, but nothing else. Any suggestions of what to look at next?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Grounds.......
    Is the pump actually running?

3. spates

spates Junior Member

No, the pump is not running. The entire unit has been working fine all season. It had been all day today until the blade snapped back. I get power to the pump motor. I jumped power to the solenoid and with the controller I could hear all of the control valves work. Only thing not working is the motor on the pump.

4. dieselss

Ok, test for power out of the solenoid, then test for power at the pomp while operating the controls or the power hitch switch

5. spates

spates Junior Member

I have power coming out of the solenoid. Power at the pump. Checked the ground connection back to the battery. All good. I did something to that elec motor, but I can't see how. I don't see how having the plow get snapped would affect that motor.

6. dieselss

Well, use jumper cables at the plow motor and see if it moves.... Just Stand clear

7. spates

spates Junior Member

I tried the jumper cables and nothing happened. No noise, nothing. What can I try next? I opened the compartment and am able to see the pump and pump motor. To get at the elec motor does that entire unit, pump and elec motor, have to come out together?

8. dieselss

Wait. Where did you hook the jumper cables up to?

9. spates

spates Junior Member

I connected to the positive terminal on the battery and direct to the red terminal on the motor. correct? Does the oil reservoir have a low oil sensor that would shut things down. The tank looked a bit low, didn't know if that would have any effect.

10. dieselss

What about the ground? Hook that up as well.
    No, no low oil shut down

11. spates

spates Junior Member

i will try that tomorrow. ASSUMING that this probably won't work, what would be the next thing I can check or do? (trying to expedite the process)

12. dieselss

If your hot wiring the motor, power and ground, and it doesn't respond....then motor is bad

13. spates

spates Junior Member

Is there a possibility that the pump itself could be an issue?

14. dieselss

Slight, but if you bench test the motor, that will be your final answer.

If your hot wiring the motor and your lights don't dim or you don't get sparks or massive heat at the lugs, that leads towards a motor

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  15. spates

spates Junior Member

When I jumpered the motor I got sparks. What does that mean?

16. dieselss

It sparks, but no movement correct?

17. spates

spates Junior Member

correct. No noise at pump. Just fireworks at battery

18. dieselss

Ok. Then I'd be leaning towards a motor

19. spates

spates Junior Member

How do you get the armature out of the pump?

20. dieselss

It's the whole motor. And it's 2 bolts