1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older poly Power-v

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rddiehl, Oct 29, 2010.

1. rddiehl

rddiehl Junior Member

My dealer has a good deal for me on a older poly plow. Never considered the poly but for the savings I may. It's 3-4 years old smart lock, snow flap and what not. Guess the guy traded it in for a newer bigger v-xt. How's the poly compared to steel? Will it hold up as well? Any input would be appreciated. It's a 8'2" going on a 09 2500HD

2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I do not have too much feedback, but i just bought an 8'2" Poly Power-V today and it seems to be in really good shape. Nothing wrong with it at all, but I have no personally used it so I cannot really give you much info about it. It is five years old and it does move very fast lol. I would be interested to hear reviews about this too

3. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

My 9-2 poly is about 7 years old. It's used a lot. No problems so far that we don't see on the steel blades. They do scuff some. It doesn't seem to dent like the steel. They are also 10 lbs. or so heavier than the steel, I'm told (frame) Could be wrong on the weight. Somewhere on this site is a pic of a large stick poked through the moldboard. So I guess they aren't bullet proof.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

The newer plows are 10 pounds heavier for the poly versus steel, but the plow I have is 809 for the 2005 8'2" Poly Power-V. Not sure about the steel for this year though.

5. elecblu

elecblu Member

I have one of each about 7 years old. Both are very good sturdy units. the biggest thing i can say bad about the poly is the color is starting to fade to a pinkish color. Not a big deal. I would still choose the poly over steel if the price was right. I bought the poly new, but got a decent deal on a used steel unit when it was 2 yrs old.

6. rddiehl

rddiehl Junior Member

Well ended up finding a better deal on a two year old v-xt, so I jumped on it. It was actually cheaper and I think I am going to tackle the install myself.