1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older plow won't raise

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by partimer, Nov 28, 2007.

1. partimer

partimer Junior Member

I have a older cable controlled Western plow that would not operate, I replaced the solenoid and now the right and left angle work perfectly but the plow will not raise. I took the controller apart also in the beginning is it possible I screwed something up inside, meesed up the contact point? appreciate any help.
    Thanks

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

It could be in the valve body, or it could also be in the controller like you say. Does it make noise when you push the stick up? Use a screwdriver and contact the two points of the solenoid and see if it lifts. If it does, it is probably in your control stick. Those tabs get worn, and don't get good contact. Try this and see, and get back with us. Also, go to Westerns site and download the manual to your plow. This will have a series of trouble shooting items in it.

3. partimer

partimer Junior Member

Took controller apart again, with the housing off the controller the joystick makes contact and the plow goes up and down and sideways, but when I screw the controller back together it will only once again go right and left, and not up. Need new platen, or can it be adjusted?
    Thanks

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

wore out

some times you can bend the tab's closer but they get heated up and loose their tension might have to end up replacing it if it don't work

5. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

like he said the contact tab get fatigued and bend. i usually have to take my t-handle apart and bend the tab usually twice each season. i've been trying to figure out how to strengthen the tab so it stays in place but don't want to destroy the controller since it's obsolete, and used ones on ebay this time of year get pretty expensive. i've got some spares ready if mine breaks which i'm sure it will some time or another. later, pete

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

biding time

you can buy the platen ,or get the contact strip only from buyer's product's(sam's )snow plow aftermarket manufacturing .i feel sorry for the guys with the t-handel controls because they work to good to make them any more .(they were made by morse controls) .but if you have to you can replace it with the newer black control .