1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older Meyer Plow for '86 Chevy 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jdwizard, Jan 22, 2002.

1. jdwizard

jdwizard Junior Member

Hello - new to forum so pls. forgive if Q's seem silly. Recently acquired older 7.5" Meyer plow that is cable controlled. Came off '87 Chevy 3/4 ton and am told would go right on the '86. Top part with motor, pump, etc. bolts right on where bumper cam off, but lower part (ram?) that pins to the blade does not want to fit under and bolt to frame very easily. Should this fit an '86 if it came off an '87 without much or any grinding, pounding, etc...? Dealer says there was only one mount for this type form '73 to '87. Also, would anyone know what model to call this and/or what pump is on it...? Could it be upgrade to the E60 pump as many of you suggest as a smart option to the E47 (if that's what it has). Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan

2. Doc L.

Doc L. Member

I don't know what you've got there for a pump or frame set-up but Meyer E-47 and 60's were both electrically operated switch type controls, no cables on those units. Go to "Chucks Chevy Pages" and dig around in there for awhile, he's got lots of info for Meyer stuff in there. As far as I know the frame on an '86-'87 Chevy are the same on full size trucks.

3. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Just wondering if the plow came off of a 4x4 or 2wd and what the situation is. Although chevy's were the same from 73 to 87 there are slight diffrences. We found this out when we tried taking a plow unit off a 82 3500 2wd dump and tried mounting it on a 86 4x4 3500 dump altough the frames are similar they are slightly diffrent where they mount to the bend in the chasis because of the position of the front axle and steering box. We just fabricated some steel and made our own conversion plates, if you have access to a shop that can do that for you at a resonable price, do it. if not buy the right lower saddle it should only cost about $300.00. If im not mistaken Meyers did make cable operated pumps a long time ago. Similar to the fisher set up. or do you have a homemade plow set up? My buddy has that, he has a meyers frame, westen pump and fisher blade they were all spare parts he aquired over the years. If your pump is that old you might want to buy a new one, I think Angelo's supplies sells new E-47 for $800 and E-60 for $1000.

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Yep the old Meyer's were cable controlled (probably all old brands were??). Although Chuck described that to me once before & it wasn't like my cable controlled Fisher. I'd switch to an updated pump. Just remember, you will also have to buy the wiring harness & controller (touch pad, joy stick, switches, etc.) to work with the new pump, so the thousand will become a little more.
    Chuck's site for reference:
    http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/

5. jdwizard

jdwizard Junior Member

Thanks folks....this is very helpful.

6. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Does it look like this?

image108.jpg

7. jdwizard

jdwizard Junior Member

Hello - thanks for reply. I believe the blade and A frame are the same and the upper mount with light, mtr., pump, etc. are similar. However, the lower mount (part I'm having trouble with) does not appear to be like the piece I saw today in the dealer's installation guide for '73 to '87 GM 4X4's. I may have a hybrid/mutt as suggested earlier and need some custom work done. Pls. look at the attached picture of the lower mount and render any opinions.....thanks. Dan Harlow

plowlowermount.jpg

8. jdwizard

jdwizard Junior Member

I should add that the guy I got this from did have it on an '87 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4.....can't believe there's much difference in an '86 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4.....thanks. Dan

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

With the open clevis for the plow a frame to attach that looks more like a western lower mount than a meyers. Meyer used a u shaped clevis where the a frame attaches.
    Dino

10. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

The problem I see is that that frame has been made. That isn't a meyers lower frame. You can usually tell because Meyers frames are usually bolted together with bout 4 pieces of steel and 5/8" bolts. My suggestion to you is either try to fabricate that to your truck or just buy a new lower saddle. If you go for a new lower saddle I would just buy the E-Z mount and the upper mount too then in the summer you can store your pump lights etc inside. However if you need a pump too you might as well buy a whole new setup because by the time you buy the upper and lower saddle and pump/ controlls you will probably spend $2000.00. You could probably get a whole new plow setup for around $2500 not installed. If you plan on doing alot of plowing for a long time with the setup new might be the way to go. spend a little more now, make alot more later. New plow = no down time= more money

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

JD
    I don't recall any major difference between an 86 an 87 4x4 3/4 ton. Chuck Smith or 75 may know better.

That looks like a made frame to me, but that should not matter. If it was completely mounted before then it should mount again. So you know the guy you bought it from? Maybe give him a call and tell him you are having trouble. He may toss a hint your way.

12. jdwizard

jdwizard Junior Member

Even though it appears I have some challenges ahead of me.....pls. accept my thanks for all of the input. This is an excellent forum.......very helpful!

Dan Harlow