1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

older Meyer electrolift setup question

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by nedplow, Dec 1, 2003.

1. nedplow

nedplow Junior Member

I'm new to the list and just bought an old Powerwagon that happened to come with an old dismantled Meyer plow and motor/pump. The pump/motor says "Electrolift electric hydraulic snowplow for Meyer snowplow". There's a model number of "E-5" i think as well. I don't know what year it is, but here's a small description. (ANY help with how to hook this thing up and make it work for me would be greatly appreciated.)

The pump is cable-activated (push-pull) design...it only goes up or down--no angling of the plow blade. There is a positive battery bolt on the top of the plow motor and the ground is near the base of the hydraulic pump. When I connect it up to the battery, the motor runs LOUD and the pull/push cable that is supposed to make the plow go up or down does nothing. I'm not sure if I need a solenoid to install between the battery and the motor or if I'm missing another part altogether.

Thanks in advance.
    I've attached a picture of the motor (excuse the poor picture quality).

2. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

old electorlift

The old myers electrolifts had a cable operated valve combined with a metal push button which would mount inside the cab. When you want to raise the plow you would push forward on the lever and the cable would shut the lock valve and at a certain point of travel the lever would hit the push button and that would work the solenoid to get the motor to fire to riase the plow. You do not connect the motor directly to a battery, it runs through a solenoid.

To lower the plow, you would pull back on the same lever and it would open the lock valve on the pump assembly and lower the blade.

I had one once for about a day on a jeep, got rid of it as soon as I could get a Monarch Hylo belt driven pump. This thing draws plenty of amps and the no angle issue is bad if you want to make time when plowing.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Those Meyer lifts are good for one thing. They make an excellent boat anchor. Meyer hasn't built that lift for about 20 years and there are no parts available. If you plan on doing any serious plowing, ditch that lift and get an E-47, E-57 or an E-60. Then add some rams to your plow, so you can angle it from the comfort of a warm truck cab.
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

This is what I started with in 1986. My Dad had it on his 1958 Jeep. Its basically a FORD starter motor (very high Amperage).

It was slow, weak, and really dimmed the headlights when you raised it.

Its good points are.....

Simple operation.

Easily rebuildable motor.

Nice on stone lots and driveways, as you could feather the drop, and just tap the button to lift every now and then.

As much as I enjoy nostalgia, go with a newer style lift. But put this one on Ebay, never know who would still want one! LOTS were made!

Oh, the memories!
  5. nedplow

nedplow Junior Member

older meyer POS

It looks just like the starter on the truck it's on, funny.

I'll hook it up to a solenoid this weekend and see how/IF it works. I have no cash to buy anything else at this point, and it's only for plowing my 300 foot dirt driveway (and maybe a neighbors as well) so maybe it'll be fine for that purpose.
    Ebay is a good idea. Lots of stuff on there!

thanks all for the advice.
  6. Murf67

Murf67 Member

There are a couple of T5's on e-bay this week just put in Snow Plow Motor under search....
  7. Murf67

Murf67 Member

8. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

they no longer make the e47
  9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I can still order them, and they are a dime a dozen used;)
  10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i can get e47's
  11. nedplow

nedplow Junior Member

Murf67's T5?

Murf67, i'm interested in your T5 if you still want to get rid of it.
    one question though, do you have the solenoid that makes it work? I have a newer type solenoid for newer pumps that doesn't work with the one i have. My T5 is busted anyway.
  12. Murf67

Murf67 Member

I don't have the selenoid but the pump is in great shape...give me your E-mail and I will send some pics...
  13. nedplow

nedplow Junior Member

14. nedplow

nedplow Junior Member

Murf67, your email is down...

email me what you would want for the T5.
    I've tried two emails and i get a reply saying it couldn't be sent.
    Does the pump really work well?
  15. nedplow

nedplow Junior Member

can't email you Murf67

AOL isn't letting me email you. It keeps sending back my emails, but I'm getting your emails...
  16. grave digger

grave digger Junior Member
    from Omro WI

plow pump t5

Do you still have a t5 pump? grave digger
  17. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

is this a 6 volt motor ?the only t-5 's i have seen were 6 volt the t-6 was 12 volt the start switch was like what was used on older fenner stone 12 dc power packs on lift gates. just two stud's and a push top buyers products has them alot of companys make them,beldon ,Granger's,borg warner,ect they.used what looked like a older lawn mower throttle control to push the cable and push against the start switch.it was great in its time but now last resort or just needed something to do?