1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older HD Fisher can barely raise won't turn

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by redflynn, Jan 4, 2008.

1. redflynn

redflynn Junior Member

Hi guys,
    Have a older fisher plow on a 93 F-250 8 1/2 ft blade straight hydrolics, pump was put in a couple of years ago minimal use.Plow will not raise unless I rev motor, will not turn at all.The joy stick in cab seems frozen when I try right or left.There doesn't seem to be any inline filter for hydrolics. Do you think valve body is bad or possibly the pump. I'm seriously considering converting over to electric pump any help would be appreciated .

Thanks Red

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I love all these people who have a problem with the simplelest and cheapest hydraulic setup and want to convert to electric. An electric conversion at minimum will be 600+ and when something goes bad I can gurantee you it will cost a lot more then the $50-100 you need to buy a valve setup on ebay.

First check if the fluid is good and not frozen.

Next thing to check is whether the joystick and valves are working. Disconnect the cables from the valve. Does the joysick move now? If not you have a bad cable or the joystick is too tight.

Try moving the valves. You should be able to grip and move them with pliers by hand. If they do not move freely then you have a bad valve.

If they move but the plow doesn't then check your pressure. If pressure is below say 1200psi then you need a new pump. If above then you have problem with your cylinders, lines, fluid freezing.

Sounds like a valve problem but hard to tell without some testing.

3. redflynn

redflynn Junior Member

Older Fisher Plow won't raise

Well I took some advice from Flipper and a couple of buddies and replaced the control valve under the hood .I found one at the local salvage yard.I paid $20.00 for valve and pump with pulley on it and all the hydraulic hoses attached. The young guy behind the counter obviously didn't know how much these are all worth new.I threw a 20 dollar bill on the counter and ran out of there before he could change his mind. After going back to our shop to clean and install parts everything works awsome,and I have a spare pump now. Thanks for your advice....

Red

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Sounds great. You definately got a good deal. Parts are becomeing harder to find for those setups.