1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older fisher plow weight?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JwS, Jun 28, 2008.

1. JwS

JwS Junior Member
    from Maine

I am searching for a project plow, I have a snowbear plow on my truck now and have for 5 years, but I would like to upgrade to something with more features and a better overall plow.

I really dont want to spend much money, hence the project part. I have a welder and the know how to restore something to new, so I think this could be a fun project.

I only do my tiny driveway and another, average drive. My only real constant is my truck, its a 2000 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton Z71.

Now that you know my background, I have found an 8' Fisher plow, an older model, without push plates/truck mount, for $250. It includes everything else.

Will my truck take the weight of an older 8' model? Ideally I want a 7 1/2' model but dont know the weight difference.

How much would the hardware to hook it to the truck cost? I think its a speedcast model. Also, I think the head stays on the truck if that matters and its a belt driven system.

Should I just wait to find a newer model?

Thanks

2. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

I was in the same boat - trying to switch an old Speedcast from a '77 chevy to a 2000 Chevy 2500. I had the pushframe off the '77 and after a day of thinking and measuring I decided not to go any further. Between trying to make things fit and trying to find a spot for the pump I saw myself making a big mess - newer trucks are harder to cobb things onto.... I later found a nice used plow that works better than anything I could have done with the old iron.

If you are the type that goes easy on things an 8' should work. One of my neighbors has an 8' heavy duty plow on his 1500 with no problems. Just think about what you have for power and weight on the truck. Sometimes that 6" makes a big difference when you're pushing.

Good luck!

3. JwS

JwS Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks a lot. I just worry that this would turn into a nightmare to get the pump rigged up and then the mounting points. I am pretty easy on my stuff but every now and then I will put it through its paces, I think the truck would do alright with it, I usually end up losing traction before power. Then theres the part of scabbing on a 1975 plow onto a 2000 model truck, maybe I will keep looking or run the snowbear until its totally shot (its getting close!).

4. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i have a fisher MM1 on my 2001 dodge ram 1500 and plowed comerically the last 2 winters. no real probelms. just take it easy and slow i guess, i have timbrens in the front and like 800-1000lbs of salt in the bed and most. but it does fine in 4x4 with no weight in the bed