1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older F350 emissions question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by frostypuck, Jan 7, 2008.

1. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

The truck in question is an '89 F350 with 5.8. I replaced the vast majority of the exhaust system to get rid of the cherry bomb mufflers the p.o. had installed, and to get rid of a load of the rusted out pipes. Anyway, new pipes and muffler are on and there's still exhaust noise coming from the back of the engine. It appears that the pipe that comes out the back of the head and crosses to the opposite side has rotted away.
    Anyone have any fixes for this particular problem? If I bring it to a shop, will it likely cost me more than the vehicle is worth to repair it?
    BTW, I'm in Mass. and the truck currently has no sticker on it, so it's going to have to go in for an inspection, safety and emissions.
    Any bright ideas?
    Thanks,
    Chris in Boston

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'm a little confused what part you are talking about. Are you talking about a manifold, Y pipe, or something else? Take it to your nearest Lou's Custom Exhaust (the one in Waltham is great) and they will hook you up with whatever you need at a good price. They've done all my exhaust work on every vehicle I've ever owned and I have nothing but praise for them.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

The leak is coming from the air injection system for the emission system. Basically what it does is inject air into the exhaust steam for emissions.There is a pipe that runs from the back of one cylinder head to the other with a diverter valve in the center where it hooks up to a rubber hose that goes to the air pump.They are a little of a pain to do but the parts are available at the dealer .

4. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

Thanks guys, 84diesel nailed it I think. My issue is that it doesn't look accessible for replacement. I guess I'll look into it some more, but this truck may not be worth the expense to fix. (Unless it starts snowing again....)
    Thanks,
    Chris

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

It is really not all too bad to do as each tube is held onto the head by 1 bolt.They usually come out pretty easy,just have to replace all the parts as either they will be rotted through or rusted solidly together.

6. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

I have the same truck. It's not that hard to do as long as you can "work by feel" :D . Since you have to take it off anyway, I would replace it, but I've seen guys cut the crossover pipe out, crimp the ends flat and solder them closed.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The pipes are available on line you have to search a bit. I found exhaust manifolds and the EGR pipe on the INTERNET. The manifolds were $40 cheaper a piece and came with free shipping.
    Call on Ford's price and if it's available. Some stuff is no longer available. Check the vacuum can on the rt fender. It supplies vacuum to the the emissions systems. It a Libby's juice can that Ford wants $36 for. <--- Hint - Hint how to repair