1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older E47 Leaks

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by kbsnow, Jan 26, 2012.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

I have an older E47 that started leaking. I don't know what the parts are called, and I will attach the only pictures I can find. It is leaking to what I think is the crossover relief valve. there is a little hole next to it and fluid pours out of there. The pump operates fine except for leaking fluid. I did find a picture of the block assembly, and the other picture is what the base looiks like with the rounded nut. there is a hole next to that nut that is leaking. Tough to explain.

meyer base.jpg

meyer 2.jpg

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You need to replace the seal on the pump shaft, that small hole is to drain any water from under the motor.

3. kimber750

By the way that is the pump relief valve, the crossover is on the end of the PA block.

4. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

WHAT PUMP SHAFT SEAL?
    Man I had to dig that rusted thing out with a small screwdriver and a pair of pliers. NEVER saw one that bad before. At least now I know what happens when they are bad.

5. kimber750

Glad you hot it fixed. :mechanic:

6. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Replaced Shaft Seal...still leaking!

OK, the guy waited unbtil it was snowing to try out the pump.....I replaced the shaft seal, and it is STILL leaking from the weep hole as if I didn't even change the seal. Whats next? I did NOT use any sealer around the seal, I just coated everything with plow fluid.

7. kimber750

If the housing was badly pitted it could be leaking around around the new seal. Are you sure the fluid is not coming from the the pump relief, could be bad o ring.

8. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Hi Kimber750, I watched as he operated the plow and the fluid just POURS right out of the weep hole. Before I replaced the seal, I took a fine emery cloth and went around the outter edge to get any rust off.

9. kimber750

Try pulling the motor and turning the pump shaft by hand, think clockwise, it should have an arrow stamped on the housing. Maybe you will be able to see where the fluid is coming from. Still think that the shaft or housing may be too badly damaged to every seal properly again. If t he shaft is in rough shape it could have destroyed the new seal.