1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older Dodge/Cummins with plow..

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Nascar Fan, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

http://burlington.craigslist.org/ctd/986458691.html

I am wondering,I know it says low milage,but are these a decent truck/motor.I am more worried about the tranny,myself...How is the price??I know I cant afford it but,maybe someone can get some use out of it..

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Never heard of big trranny issues on those, but the price seems good as long as it all works........

3. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Should be a damn good truck

4. Tediesel

Tediesel Member

89 was the first year for the Cummins in the Dodge. They weren't intercooled until 91.5 but unless you want to go crazy and hot rod it that doesn't really matter. Not really any problems with the trucks. Trannys were decent but no overdrive. To compensate for that the 89-91.5 have 3.07 gears. Top speed on that will be about mid sixties wide open. They are decent on power in stock form and you can turn up the pump for free with a couple of wrenches and 10 minutes time. Nothing to really look for other than the usual you would at any truck. Only thing I can really think of would be to check the timing gear cover up front for any major oil leaks. Sometimes a little steel pin would walk out and hit the timing or pump gear and blow a hole in the timing cover. Check for fuel leaks. Injectors leaking can usually be tightened. Steel fuel lines rusted pretty easy and you can just use fuel hose to replace them if they are bad. See how it starts in the cold and how much and what color smoke when it first fires up. Parts are easy to get for the most part. Only parts unavailable in aftermarket are parts for the 3.07 axle. I bought an 89 that was rough 2 years ago with boss plow and dump insert for $2500. $2500 would be a good price, $2000 would be better. You could part it out for what he's asking. As for the tranny they are good and cheap. Getting that one rebuilt if it goes should be under a grand with labor. I just bought a 92 the Monday before christmas. I have a thing for the old Cummins Dodges. I've had 3 of that body style. First one is my 93 I had., second is the 89 before and after. I don't have any pics of the 92 yet.

93.jpg

89b.jpg

89a.jpg