1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older Diamond plow, how much play?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AA961JESTER, Feb 21, 2003.

1. AA961JESTER

AA961JESTER Junior Member

I recently purchased a 1984 K20 with a Diamond Plow set-up. The plow is probably the same age as the truck and is the belt driven hydrolic type. I couldn't get any literature from the previous owner. I describe the setup as basically two A frames. The two A frames are joined with two large bolts. How tight should these bolts be? There is some play in them, but I dont know if this is normal? Anyone know.
    :drinkup:

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

They have a little bit of play in them, but not very much. You might want to check that the bolts are not excessively worn to be safe. If the holes are worn, you can either weld and drill them or bush them if need be. The plow should work OK if it's the holes, but replace the bolts if they are worn.

3. AA961JESTER

The holes are fine, they were not enlarged or made oblong. The bolts are not worn either. I just didn't know if it should be rock solid tight or have some play. I figured if it was rock solid, it might be more prone to frame cracking. I also thought if there is some play it may cause the bolts to shear. Out of the two scenerios I thougt of I would rather have the bolts shear as it would be easier to fix. I do have extra bolts just in case.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

No, they're not rock solid. The play allows them to flex a bit an conform to road irregularities.

If you have the same experience with your plow as I did with my Diamonds, you'll be very pleased.

5. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Do yourself a favor. A buddy of mine uses a diamond on the same year chevy pickup. Go over it very carefully, we have peiced his back together 2 times this year already. If it is the same year as the truck, it has saome miles on it...
    Good luck

Rick

6. AA961JESTER

This is my third plow truck. My first is a Western uni-mount. Second is an older Meyer with an E-47. An now the Diamond. I like the Diamond because it is simple. I don't need to worry aboud bad solenoids, coils, or electrical connections. The only downside is that it is a bit slower. Any tips on speeding it up besides reving the engine?

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You can play with pulley diameters to speed up the pump. A smaller pulley on the pump will speed it up. I did this to mine and ran it 7 years with no ill effects. The speed rivals any electric pump plow.

8. AA961JESTER

Thanks for the help. I will try a smaller pulley wheel. Can you tell me the size of the one you went to to start with?
    :drinkup: