1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

older conventional question??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by snord, Jan 7, 2008.

1. snord

snord Junior Member

Can anyone explain the style of this a-frame? When I bought it, it just had a large bolt/nut to connect the front of the a-frame to the plow blade and isn't like most where the a-frame slides between two flat plates of metal on the blade and is secured with a long pin. It doesn't look hacked up and looks like a Fisher a-frame and blade...a little confused.

Jan2008-1.jpg

Jan2008-3.jpg

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

That single bolt was the only "hard" mount of the A frame to the blade, but it wasn't the only point of stability. On the older plow, there is that trapezoid shape frame UNDER the A-frame and pistons that stabilizes the plow from the forces of plowing. In your picture, the bolt appears to be out, and as such will not function properly or at all. I can assure you from experience that the conventional Fisher's are bulletproof and should be of no concern with that bolt. Best of luck

~Kevin

3. YardMedic

see the back of this new Fisher -- no extra framing, but there is extra bracing AT the pin point, like you said

sp_model_detail_hd3.jpg

4. hadley-plow-guy

hadley-plow-guy Member

It looks like a fisher to me. I couldn't tell you how old. But if you could weld on a sleeve to the the a-frame. And then a piece of flat stock to the blade it would be alot stronger, JMO. Although it shouldn't be of concern for now or maybe for a long time. I like to error on the side of extreme reliability. Have an extra bolt or two on hand just in case.

5. snord

snord Junior Member

agreed

Yes, it sure would be nice to have the extra bracing on the blade like the newer plows and some conventionals. For now I'll get a couple of bolts (good idea having spares!) and run it like it is. Better if I find a different a-frame and weld a plate on the plow blade. Right now working on getting a 4 gauge cable for the 170 amp alternator -- extra work converting over from cable-operated to all electric. Thanks. Any other input appreciated. Snow's coming tonight:)

6. mgf250

mgf250 Member

Fisher

By the looks of the paint, the A Frame looks newer than the plow blade.

7. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

That is genuine Fisher, circa 1970 or so. Prior to the top pivot plate being welded on and the solid pivot pin going down through, that's how they were designed.

They used either a 7/8" or 1" bolt that came up from the bottom. It was secured with a castle nut and a cotter pin. Depending upon which diameter you have there, it was either a part number A313 or A805. Neither is available from Fisher any longer, but you should be able to source it either at an auto parts or hardware store.

8. snord

snord Junior Member

Thanks Theo, that sounds right. I got a grade 8 bolt and lock nut for it. I guess if it made it 30 years with that design, it should keep working all right. I painted the a-frame along with the headgear which is why they looked different, but they are a matched set.

9. YardMedic

My grandfather busted that pivot point one night while plowing, and someone welded it pretty much where he was. The plow was over 20 years old when he sold the truck, and it was still in great shape after heavy use in the kinds of storms we USED to have out this way!

10. ctbob

ctbob Junior Member

wow that plow is from 1970?reason i ask is my old plow is the same one.there still good plows though they still work good.i just hope they keep making the parts for them i like the old plows better than the mm any day.