1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older budget truck for plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sqdqo, Aug 29, 2011.

1. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

I have a very limited budget and want an older truck to leave at a remote cabin for plowing. No power there so I am thinking gas as it may sit for extended periods in very cold temps, I want it to start. What vintage do you guys prefer for reliability and durability. We get alot of snow in the northern U.P. I wanted to put a 9' boss v on it and want to make sure the front end will handle the weight, and that the truck has enough ass to push it. I have a 3/4 ton now with an 8'2" boss and when cornering the body panels come dangerously close to the banks, when plowing close to buildings or retaining walls the mirrors almost touch them. I figured the extra width would help keep me safe. I am not concerned about fuel economy as it will sit at a cabin only being used when we get snow. I thought a 1 ton truck would best suit me for strength. Are the frames any different on a 1 ton than a 3/4 ton? Is there any real benefit to using a 1 ton versus a 3/4 ton? I intend to find a truck that has not been previously plowed, is there a mileage amount that would concern you? Any experienced opinions are appreciated.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Keep the truck you have now,I think you can swap the 8.2 for a 9ft. Buy your self a solar powered battery tender for the truck,

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Invest in a Truck jump start box. It will save you if the truck dies or will not start due to cold. Just keep it warm for full power.