1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older Boss V Plow problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by getsome, Jan 13, 2012.

1. getsome

getsome Junior Member

Hey everyone, hoping someone here can help me out.

I bought a truck and plow this past fall, and now that we finally got some snow here in WI I got to put it through the paces. Well, for a bit atleast.

I ended up blowing a hose this morning when I started to push my parking lot. I knew I probably should have replaced it before the season as I noticed it was in bad shape from rubbing on the spring, but I didnt and now here I am.

Anyways, not having any problems replacing the hose, but I am trying to figure out how to replace the fluid/purge the system of air. It is an older v-plow (like the one in the picture) and it does not have the filler on the side like the new boss plows have. I have been trying to find where the filler hole is on this unit, but cant quite figure it out....and all the info I have found online is for the new plows. Also, the new units have a self relieving filler cap or something of the sort so it automatically relieves the air in the system, not sure how to go about that on this unit.

If anyone has this unit and can help me out, or knows what I am supposed to do, your help would be greatly appreciated. I am completely new to plows in general as this is my first one, so I really have no clue what I am doing.

This is what the plow looks like (not my truck)
    [​IMG]

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm quite sure B&B will probably chime in later today but if I remember right on those older Boss plows,they also have a plastic cover just like the newer ones protecting the pump and motor compartment.So did you take that off and/or look by the pump for some type of cap for the reservoir yet?Not sure if yours has a self venting plug so if it doesn't,you're probably going to have to crack some fittings open.

3. UnitedB

UnitedB Junior Member
    from SLC, UT

The fill cap is under the cover, it is also the breather cap. A long transmission funnel is the easiest way to fill it. If the reservoir is completely empty it will take two quarts oil to fill it. The system will purge its self of air, just top it off and go.

4. getsome

getsome Junior Member

Alright, thanks, next question...how do I get the cover off? Do I have to remove the cylinder that is directly in front of it?

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

No.It's a tight fit but if you twist it around some it will clear the lift cylinder.

6. UnitedB

UnitedB Junior Member
    from SLC, UT

You don't need to completely remove it but put the plow in float and just remove the top pin, that will give you some extra room and make it a bit easier.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And once you have the pump cover off you'll see the fill cap/breather on the top of the reservoir. Remove it and fill to about 3/4" from the top and then re-attach the upper lift ram and cycle all plow functions several times and recheck fluid level one more time and call it good. They system will self bleed so there's nothing special you need to do.

Note: when filling or checking fluid level be sure both wings are fully retracted and of course the plow is on the ground. You'll overfill it if it's in any other position.

And here's the correct paperwork for your plow: SH1 Spend a little time familiarizing yourself with it and keep it handy for future use.

8. getsome

getsome Junior Member

Thanks for the help everyone, got everything back together and working today!