1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older 8'Pro with Joystick, Can auto-down turn off?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Flyboy77, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I have an older (~1994?) 8' Western Pro Plow with electronic joystick control. Can the Auto-down/float "feature" of the plow be turned off? I read in a post that someone switched to thumb control to lose this feature.
    Is this the only possible way the joystick version works, down=float?
    It's easy enough to bump it up when on the ground to the desired height, but adjustment down on the highway would be a no-no...

We got to do some salting this past Sunday night! :D

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What would the point be?

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There is no auto turn-off on this version. You can manually turn the plow off with the little switch on the side, when you are driving on the highway. Or you can swap the joystick for a handheld which doesn't have the instant float feature, you have to hold the down button for two second to make it go into float.

4. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

The point is to raise it high for steep angles at entrances with hills, but to lower it some for highway driving to allow for air flow through the radiator. I also don't have an operation manual, wondering if there are additional functions available.

Good point to turn it off prior to entering the highway to prevent accidental float.

I'm new to this and my trainer has a down on his Meyer that he uses to adjust it on the highway. I can deal with it with planning, just exploring my options. Thanks for the replies!

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the float function is turned off by simply bumping the contoller to the up position. if i'm going down the road and i want to lower the blade for better airflow to the radiator, i will hit the down position, then very quickly hit the up position. this will allow the blade to lower to where i want, but not hit the ground.

if the last postion the joystick controller was in was left, right, or down, then the blade is automatically in float. (this is true for 99% of the controllers out there - some very, very early and rare ones this is not the case). you want it to be in float so that the blade can follow the contour of the ground you are plowing. if it didnt float, youd go over a divet and the blade would not scape it clean.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just practice at dropping it and quickly pressing the up button. Or lower before you travel on the roads

7. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I will definitely be practicing that. Thanks for the assistance!