1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older 810's

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Greenery, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Hey guys,
    I have a couple questions regarding the older 810 Power plows.
    One in particular i'm going to look at is estimated to be a 2004 model give or take a year or two.

Do these older ones have the headgear (light tower) attached to the truck or are they part of the plow?

Is there any particular problems with these older units to watch out for?

Is there a way to change out the hideously big control box to a handheld style for a reasonable cost?

Thanks for any and all help.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Head gear stays on the truck, but is easy to remove.

Main issue is the harness with these plows. Yes PH switches go bad and the occasional solenoid, but the harness is the biggest problem on the Blizzards.

Use the joystick before you knock it. I would never use anything else. There is a company that makes one though, someone else should be able to tell you who. I think Jerre sells them though.

3. Greenery

Thanks for the info, does the wiring short out corrode or what is the issue?

I believe the joystick is nice it's just a little big for my taste, I wasn't trying to diss it.

4. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

youre lucking into one of the better plows - especially if that guy parts the one off his ford for you. A plow in his shape should be $4000 or better. Everything on the older plows are so much simpler. All the controllers and harness are is just a huge pile of circuits. They are very easy to troubleshoot. Ive got 6 of the old ones at last count.

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I won't trade my pre dd Blizzards for the newer ones largely because of the controller. I love the "shoebox" controller

6. Greenery

I am actually looking at a different one than the one on the ford. That's why I posted this in the first place, it just happens that I saw that one also. The other one is right about the same age but with the correct mount for $3000. The one on the ford is a little cleaner though.

7. Greenery

I just don't know where i'd put it.

8. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

velcro strap abound the bench and it stays put and right at hands reach. If your lucky enough to have captains chairs or something, well good luck.

9. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

I love my big box controller. Not a fan of the handhelds. seems like you are trying to find them from under the seat or your sitting on them or something when you need them,

10. lilweeds

http://www.jerres.com/ for the handheld.

The plugs corrode somethings, and wires can rub from time to time. Best year plow though. What are you putting it on? Mine controller straps to the center console. Works awesome!

11. Greenery

It's going on a 07 classic chevy 3500 cab/chassis. I'm not positive I'm gonna go with a blizzard, but I am looking at a few. It sounds like the guy on here selling one has someone interested in his package deal, so that one might be sold. I do still have the other I mentioned above on my list.

12. Greenery

The problem with placing the joystick box on the center console is that I will lose my access to it, which I use all of the time.

13. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I like a fixed joystick, but use a smaller box that wedges nicely between the seat and console.

14. lilweeds

No you won't I strap mine to the lid. Console still works perfect.

15. Greenery

So you just strap it to the lid portion of the center console? This particular console opens to the back instead of to the side like the early 2000 Chevys.

16. lilweeds

Yup, if I get a chance I'll take a pic tomorrow.

17. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

One other issue is the power wire pin or female receiving part tends to get pushed up and out of the harness or just enough so it doesn't make contact with the plow side and then you have no power to plow. drilled a lil hole and put in a set screw. Also added a secondary power supply with an Anderson connector on truck and plow.