1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older 810 electrical problems

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by clipserob, Sep 29, 2010.

1. clipserob

clipserob Junior Member

Hi guys I have a first gen 810 that has worked great up until the end of last plow season when it started killing every truck it was attatched too. It runs any battery/alt combination we have dead within 20 min. Took it to the dealer it is only drawing 169 amps at full strain. The motor has been rebuilt. It also has a new wiring harness installed. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
  2. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Lots of possible assumptions here: Is it a 99 plow? Was the new harness also a 99 model harness? Is there still a solenoid on the plow side? Here's one: How many amps is it drawing when not cycling the pump via a function switch? Are you sure the pump is not running all the time ie fried solenoid? How many psi is produced when dead heading the pump?
  3. clipserob

clipserob Junior Member

No it is a 2001. But yes the harness the right one for this plow or so my dealer told me. The pump is not running constantly. It is only the lift action that seriously drains the batterys. I can move the wings and angle all day with no effect. I checked the lift action amp draw was 169. It is at about 125 when it is moving the power hitch freely with no weight. I dont know alot about all this stuff im just frustrated my dealer cannot figure it out.
  4. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Replace your pump, guarantee it has a lot of sideplay, takes most PSI to lift.
    Also, reground your motor to pump base with a cable if needed. I think your ground is bad, trying to ground through pump and causing strain. Seen this happen before. What color is your Manifold?? Ever updated??
  5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

What pressure is it building? How long since the reservoir was off and the filter cleaned? 1/4" hoses still or updated to 3/8", Draw latch binding at all?

You said motor was rebuilt and it does it no matter what truck you put it on. Sharpcut is onto a possible issue with a poor ground connection. However you could have a bad ground or power in the plow side harness so first thing is to make sure that the plow side ground is clean and tight on the manifold. You can drill and tap a hole in the motor case between the coils and add a ground jumper there. Also when you removed and replaced the motor did you get the corrosion cleaned around the motor mounting location?

Sharpcut should be a silver manifold.

There is another issue that can cause this due to a valve that was supplied incorrectly. Effected the 99 / 2000 and some 2001 models. Can work for years and then be effected.

Pull the coils off the #5 and #7 valves and check the tags. IF the valves are 081 CR instead of 081 C then you could be suffering from internal valve blockage. They can be repaired without having to replace them.

6. clipserob

clipserob Junior Member

Not sure how much pressure it is putting out i ordered a pressure guage online waiting for it to arrive so i can check a few things. The manifold is red not sure if that is the one it came with or if the previous owner changed it(ive only had the plow for 4 years). The ground was cleaned and the reservoir is removed and filters cleaned every fall as I do on all our plows. The draw latch has been acting up lately. When attempting to use the power hitch the thumb comes in before the lift arm goes up against the plow frame. The motor was rebuilt not replaced but im not sure what the dealer did we just dropped the plow off. Last winter when the problem started we pulled the motor out and took it to an electrical motor repair shop and ya we cleaned all corrosion before re installing it(They said the motor was fine). I will check the valves today and get back to you.
    Thanks for all the advice
  7. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

Hey Jerre, I have a few questions reguarding the valves that you are talking about. I have a 2001 810 and it worked great up until last season. The trouble I was having was getting the draw latch to drop down off the a frame after plowing. it would always go on great but then when it came time to take it off I would have to take the valves out in order to relieve the pressure to pry the latch off the a frame. I have the 081 cr valves could this be the problem?