1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older 8' 28 series

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by stcroixjoe, Feb 12, 2006.

1. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about this style plow?Is it made for commercial use or residential? The plow itself is a 94 model with down pressure? I know it has the big box controller can it be changed over to wireless or a smaller controller ? thanks for the help Joe
  2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

it is a commercial duty plow, and yes it can be changed to a different controller. I myself have a boss handheld controller on mine
  3. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

how heavy is the plow? would it be OK to install it on a 98 dodge 1500 sport and there are no lights how is it with out lights can you see ok
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

see the durango below, it has the same plow as you do except it is 8 years newer... a ram 1500 would laugh at it. as for the lights, they are ok if it isint milky colored and scratched badly
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are you sure it's a 28 series? that is a V blade and comes from the factory with lights. It also weighs a lot more then the 8' straight blade in the picture and is not recommended for 1500 trucks.
  6. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

Thats what the guy is telling me who i might buy it off of ,the only thing is that he said is that the plow has been sitting for a couple of years with no use is there anything i should look at or look for before i buy it ? how hard or how easy is it to install ?
  7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Do the basic's. Check the pistons ( the shiny part ) for rust, pits, etc. If it is very noticeable you will have problems. Check to see if the pistons are leaking at the seals too. Each side piston is roughly $150, the main piston is about $200 - prices vary by dealer I have found. It's an easy job to do it yourself.

Open the resovior and chek the color of the opil. It should be easy to see through and when new it's almost clear. If it's hardly used then you probably do not have to worry about and frame cracks.

As for lights .... Get them. I don't know how ( Big Nate's Plowing ) keeps his so very clear and shiney but, when the snow builds on the plow there goes your lighting. You can add them - so no big deal.

BTW - my snoway it now 9' years old.
  8. Big Nate's Plowing

the angle cylindrs are the same as a western ultramount ($80 @angelos)

also in refrence to the v-plow... now the 28 series is a v-blade, back in the day the 28 series used to be what now is the 29 series

on the lexan, I usually change it twice a year, it is only $35 each time, it is cheaper then the light kit @ about $700
  9. beungood

beungood Member

get it

I threw on an 8 foot HT series lexan blade with EIS lights ,snow foil,down pressure,wireless remote. I love this damn plow. I paid 1500 and it came with a pushblade. It was made in 02 I believe. Im glad I got it instead of a fisher or Western or Boss. Scrapes real good and when it gets tough throw on the downpressure. And the stacking height is awesome for tight driveways!