1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older 71/2ft straight, lifts but wont turn

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Avitare, Nov 24, 2012.

1. This may be a problem I had years ago,..memory plays tricks
    First day of pushing serious snow this year. All went well for about 8 big drive ways and then she would not turn either way. I can hear the pump whine and the lights dim but the plow wont move left or right. Lifted and falls fine.
    I had to finish a few more so nudged the plow to a tree to get more straight and allow me to do a few more drives.

This seems to be a valve that is not moving as there is pump action and it does lift fine.

I think the shop fixed this once and it was a grounding problem and that is what I am going to check first. That and electrical connections.

please forward any suggestions
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check/service the ground leads for the angle coils first, and if deemed 100% good then the angle valve itself needs replaced as it's damaged (bent spool).
  3. service/ground checks

That explains the options
    I seem to recall the shop adding a ground and I will check there.
    Assuming that the supply would be 12v when the stick is activated -- thinking I either need
    to rig a meter/light to the (correct) terminals
    Is there a wiring diagram for this 1999 plow ?
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can check the 12v command function at each of the angle coils easily with a testlight and a helper. But you'll likely find those are fine because it isn't common to lose them both simultaneously. When you do, it's either lack of ground (since it's shared) or a faulty valve as mentioned.

Here's the manual with diagrams-

Attached Files:

5. Bad Ground

I tried to check every connection and found one wire break off -- fixed that but the end solution was to run a ground direct to the battery/black cable connection.

This vintage (1999) jumps from one point to another and that can be risky.

best suggestion: carry a wire with alligator clips so you can jump ground to direct black

thanks all
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You actually did an upgrade whether you realize it or not. A dedicated lead right to the motor ground is the best way. In fact, that is how they began doing it a few years after your vintage unit and are still that way today.