1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older 24D ??

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Dogbonz, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

Hi Folks,, On my Older 24D when I hit the downpressure button,,, I hear a click,,,,,,,click,,,,,,click,,,,,,click. about 1 per second,,,, sounds like a relay,, and I don't think it is possed to do that. It lifts the front of the truck up, and scraps good,,, But, um well,,, thats why I'm here!
    When D/P is on should I hear anything other then the hydro pump tilt the truck?:rolleyes:
    Thanx

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

What you are hearing is the start solenoid engaging as the plow is looking to establish down pressure. Consistent cycling as you describe means that you are not holding pressure. The pressure switch is sensing the loss of hydraulic pressure and will engage the start solenoid to run the pump and push oil back to the downside of the cylinder.

Do you have any manuals for the plow?

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Every time you move the truck the solenoid will click. It is just keeping the pressure constant. Going over bumps and following the ground will require different pressures. Mine clicks alot when I am moving or until the pressure is right. Have you changed fluid and cleaned the connections?

4. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

I have downloaded the manuals from the web site. the fluid is new snoway fluid and I have NOT cleaned any connections,,,, I did however switch this plow over from an older truck to this one, and it performs better on the newer truck! On the older truck it would click faster,,, then on this truck,. I have measured the pins and they are at 10 3/4 inchs of the 9-11 recommended height. What would I look for as the failing part, if it is not keeping down pressure? and which connections are you refering to cleaning?

thanx for the help guys.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

either your pressure relief is getting tired or your lift cylinder is failing. the manuals will show you how to adjust the P.R. valve. tweak it a little and see if it changes the freg. of the cycle. The older units cycle more frequently then the new units but it shouldn't hammer. Does the Plow drift down when raised.

The closer to the lower limits the better the DP works.

6. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

Thanx for the quick replies fella's,,, No it will hold all night if I raise it and leave it. So maybe an adjustment is in order,,, Ill check in with ya on Wendsday, after I run my route. I'm off to go look at manuals to see if I can figure out what to adjust where! :eek:

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You want the DP pressure relief, try 1/2 a turn.

8. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

Hey Basher or Tom,,, I found the pressure relieft valve in my manual,,, item #13. How do I adjust it,,, Clockwise a 1/2 turn? CounterClockwise a 1/4 turn?
    I check the truck again, today, and when I hit the DP button,, the front of the truck seems to lift up some, but the clicking is slow. This is all with the truck parked in my garage,
    If I plow the rd,, and hit the button,, same thing it plows and scrapes with the clicking about 1 time per second. Thanx Again fellas :drinkup:

9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I would start with 1/2 turn clockwise and see what it does for you.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

To me that sounds normal for an older plow. The plow is trying to follow the road and the solenoid will click to maintain the pressure for the changes in the surface of the road..

11. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

I have an older 24d.....

And it does exactly as you describe....

But it scrapes and backdrags vey well....

If it ain't broke don't fix it..:drinkup:

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

if your cycle time on DP is 1 sec your not that bad. The Fenner units cycled a little faster then the new model Monarchs. try 1/2 3/4 turn clockwise don't over do it. a second and a half is average DP cycle on those units.