1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Western v plow= "Tri-plow"?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JohnnyU, Jan 11, 2003.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I ran into an old v-plow at a junk yard today. After careful observation, I noticed the the a-frame looks just like that of a pre-unimount western plow. It was very faded and dirty, but I'm pretty sure it was not a boss judgint by the similarities to this plow. All that was there was the moldboard, two double acting cylinders, springs, a-frame and other misc parts. No mount, No motor, No controls. My question is this: what would i need to control this plow, the one in the ebay austion appears to have a regular-looking pump/motor on it, if anyone can steer me to a good plce to look for parts or more info on this particular plow, I would be grateful. It looked a little rusty, but appeared to be only surface deterioration.

Thanks, John

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Who the heck would pay $1000 for one of the first western V's out there with a welded moldbord? LOL ebay.... gotta love the "good luck" at the end...

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

$1000? No Way!

I agree that I would not pay that much for that plow, which was for a pictoral description only, I'm still wondering if this plow might be worth $150 or so for just the moldboard, a-frame cyls, etc. Did these primitive v's have some major flaws? or were they a pretty good plow that never caught on, until recently.

I noticed that they are full moldboard trip design, which has been changed to a trip edge on the newer ones. Isnt the BOSS a moldboard trip design too? just running some randome thoughts, about safety of truck, reliability etc.... thanks again

4. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Didn't go look but I know which plow you're talking about.

Cable controlled at that too.

5. ezcleanfilter

ezcleanfilter Junior Member
    from wis

I love my tri plow.

6. Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave Member

The old western tri plows are cable controled. when they break there are no parts for them. Buddy ran one for years witth the center welded could not find parts for less than the price of a new plow so its now runing on a regular western cable control as a two way plow.

7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i've seen some old threads brought back from the dead, but an 8 year old thread has to be the record!!