1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old western unimount plow (1990)

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by brody98, Mar 28, 2010.

1. brody98

brody98 Junior Member
    from Iowa

I bought an old Chevy 3/4 ton with a western plow for my driveway, it's always been a little slow to lift but angles fine. I figured it was in need of a pump and motor so I replaced them both along with a new lift ram and packing. It still has a slow lift and wont seem to lift all the way up. Where do I go from here other than replacing the ground cable and battery cable? Can the lift valve move over time? Or is there something else I'm overlooking?

2. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

TRY AND MOVING THE CHAIN CLOSER TO THE MOLDBOARD AT THE BOTTOM. WHEN YOU MOVE THE CHAIN OUT AT THE BOTTOM THE PLOW WILL LIFT EASIER AND FASTER IT STOP FIGHTING ITSELF. ALSO MAKE SURE THAT THE LIGHT TOWER IS NICE AND STRAIGHT AND NOT LEANING FORWARD. ONE OF MY UNI-MOUNTS(NEWER) THE CHAIN IS IN STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN, AND THE OTHER(OLDER)ONE IT ANGELS IN WHEN IT LIFTS. HOPEFULLY THIS HELPSussmileyflag