1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OLD Western Questions?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thecabinexpert, Dec 28, 2015.

1. thecabinexpert

thecabinexpert Junior Member

I just purchased a used 1998 Dodge 2500 V10 with a 1998 7'6" Western straight plow and need some insight. I have only ran Boss plows and really dont know much about the western.

The blade folds down really easy while pushing snow. Will adjusting the springs help. The left right pivot bolt seems loose, i havent taken it apart yet, but was wondering if it can be welded or do i need to replace the push frame.

Any tips or tricks would be great.

Also interested in a back drag blade for it. Does anyone have any plans or pictures for a hinged back drag blade. Or is there anywhere i can buy one.

just saw a used Western V-plow about 1997 looks very clean guy is asking $3000 with mount for late 80's Chevy, wiring and handheld controller. that seems too much to me. I paid $4000 in 2011 for my boss 9'2" vplow brand new, with just plow and controller.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can try tightening up the springs, also make sure the A frame is sitting level when on level ground.

The pins, unless there extremely worn you could leave them for now and replace or repair them later. Might want to look at the pins, and the mounting locations for cracks etc. And make sure the pins have the cotter pins also
  3. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

How many springs are on it?
    Mine(8ft Western Pro Plow) is from about ~1994 and has 3 springs as back pressure. There are a few on here that have completed the 4 (or 5) spring upgrade. If you add another spring it helps a bunch. The later versions of the Western plows come with 4 springs standard. Dogplow_dodge posted his modifications with pictures of how he added a spring.
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yes. It helped TREMENDOUSLY....

This thread will answer most of the OP's questions. You can (and should) buy a backblade at any western dealer. if your edge currently on there is worn, replacing the edge along with the backdrag edge at the same time will breed new life into your plow, otherwise, you will prematurely wear out your new backdrag edge. The backdrag edge significantly adds life expecancy to the blade, as you're using two surfaces to cut snow and ice.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  5. thecabinexpert

thecabinexpert Junior Member

I belive 3 springs. 4 sounds like the best upgrade for me, 5 might be over kill.
  6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You might want to look into just replacing the springs also. They are a wear item that loose their strength over time