1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Western Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crumm, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Just found this site the other day and it has been a big help in getting my new found plow running. It is an old Western with cable control's.
    When I got it I had to fix a bolt in the bottom of the pump that the unit mounts on. I drilled it out and helli-coiled it. I also installed a new o-ring in it. It seems to be holding good now without anymore leaking.
    When I mounted the unit back up I had to do some tinkering with the control's to get it to go up and down it seemed very touchy about the adjustment. It would go up but not down and vise-versa.
    I now have it working up-down-left-right but after I raise it a couple of times it gets very slow. When I refilled it with fluid I used synthetic ATF and with a search on this site I found that to be acceptable. Why does it get slow after a little use? It is fast again after it sits for a while but slows right back down after a little use.
    I have read on here that some plow pumps have a strainer. Where is it? Could it be my problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

I am going to assume this a cable operated EHP. it could be your pump. this is an older unit and after a while the gears get worn down and when the fluid is cold it is thicker. after using the plow the fluid warms up and the viscosity breaks down allowing the oil to slip through the gears. This is why it works after you let it set a while. - the pump is located under the motor. one thing to look for is at the pump shaft. See if there is any scoring on the shaft about 3/4" down the shaft. this is a sign of a poor ground and that will cause the gears to arch against each other wearing them down. a tell tale sign is black fluid.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I've seen a bad motor do the same thing sometimes.More than likely though,it's the pump.
  4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I don't feel that the plow is worth putting alot of money into.

Are these gears replaceable or do I need to change the whole pump? Is there somewhere I can get a service manual on how to take it apart?
  5. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

How's your battery???

I had my old Western mounted up last week and ran it back and forth and up and down a few times. It started to get a little slow. I just figured it was because I only had one battery in the truck, I haven't put in my aux. battery yet.
    Yesterday, the wife had to move the truck and the battery was dead. Did a load test and the battery is real weak. Still starts the truck but won't crank very long.

Check the charging system, it may be a little weak.
    Mark K
  6. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

no the gears are not replaceable, you will have to replace the pump. You can go onto westerns website and download the owners manual. All you need to do is remove the motor to access the pump. If i remember right there are three bolts that hold the pump to the housing. Once the pump is removed try wiggling the shaft side to side to see if it is worn. Some have layers that can be pulled apart to do a visual inspection of the gears.
  7. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Crumm....when you added the fluid, did you bleed the air out of the main pump ? As air enters those cylinders it does like a vapor lock and the pump will not be able to move any direction. The other major cause is the pump motor ( electric ) is going bad and is drawing to much current from the battery and the charging system in your truck cant recharge it fast enough ( most of the older plow motors draw alot of amps & basic alternators cant keep up ie: lights dim when plow is engaged )

Hope this helps.........:drinkup:
  8. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I think you are all on to something. The truck the plow is on right now has two batteries but they are very old ones. When I raise the plow the lights get very dim. It makes sense that the plow is fast for a couple of lifts then as the batteries get weak the pump slows down. I am going to mount the plow on a different truck within the next week or two so I will wait and see how it works with two new batteries rather than tearing into the pump just yet.

I down loaded and printed out about 50 pages from Western's web site. Looks to be just what I needed. With the service and operating manual I now see how to make it go up and down. Looks to be simple lift valve and check valve adjustments. I was wondering why only the angle cable had a adjustment now I know.

Thanks for the help this is a great site:) .