1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old Western pump question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intimidator, Dec 13, 2001.

1. intimidator

intimidator Member

I have 3 of the old Western cable operated pumps, 2 are pro plows (one 8', one 7'5") and one 7'5" standard plow. Are the pumps the same for all these plows. Also, the owners manual show a screen for the fluid, but doesn't say how to service it, one of the plows is rather slow, even with 2 batteries and 100 amp alternator. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jason
  2. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I don't know how old old is but to service your suction filter: Drain fluid, Remove pump assy, remove 2 7/16 motor bolts, pull motor, gasket, and pump. throw away filter, replace filter, gasket , oil seal. Install pump and motor. Torque bolts. Check your hyd pressure and your cushion valves adjs.

I'm not sure if the PLOWS use the same PUMPS??????????
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2001
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Jason - how old is the pump that's slow? Slow going up only, or slow both raising the plow and angling it?

If the procedure that John described doesn't cure the problem and it's seen a lot of use, the pump itself may be getting worn. I had my Monarch overhauled this summer because the plow was getting s-l-o-w to raise, especially after an hour or so of use.

Over time, the clearance between the gears in these pumps increases, which results in lower hydraulic pressure being produced. They're repairable though!

I believe that all 3 of your plows should use the same pump, unless they are of different ages. Then there might be some differences between pumps as a result of upgrades/changes made over the years.
  4. SodFather

SodFather Junior Member

I have an older cable western, It's the 8.5' I have the original owners manual at home. Im not looking at it but I think there where 3 diffrent types of plows standard, pro and another one and I remember they showed 3 diffrent pumps. I'll take alook and get back to you.
  5. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

The old style and new style motors use different pumps. Both motors were used on the cable operated power pack. If you can't find an replacement or rebuild kit for the old style pump you can upgrade to the new motor and pump.
  6. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

the original pump western used was made of cast iron w/ a metal screw in filter,that was discontinuedaround 1981. the pump your plows should have is made from aluminum w/ a plastic push-on filter.as described earlier,remove motor etc., and install new filter. as far as your SLOW problem,there are many different things it may be. does the plow work slow in all directions? pt.
  7. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

While you are at it, check all you connections. Make sure the connections are clean and tight.
  8. intimidator

intimidator Member

I'm starting to lean towards worn out pump. Rebuilt the motor last year, upgraded alt., and had both batteries checked (both 650 cca). After a good hour of plowing, I'll have to shut the lights off to keep the batteries from going completely dead. It seems to raise the slowest, although angling is slowed considerably also (not that they're real fast to begin with). I have no idea the age of any of the plows. And by the way, I checked all electrical connections and replaced the relay also.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

hello,double check the electric motor the brushes could be worn.
    i would take a electric motor from the other pump,and switch them and see what happens. if you have to replace the unit it is cheaper to put a nice
    barnes pump under the hood unit if you have the room. you can get one from northern tools for $500.00,easy to hook up but you would also need 3 new hoses & a ram.. good luck.