1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Western plow setup will not move

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kmlandscaping, Feb 4, 2013.

1. kmlandscaping

kmlandscaping Junior Member

Hi everyone I am new to this site and I am looking for any help I can get. I currently have an old style western plow set up that is stuck. It will not move up or down nor left or right. However, I replaced the broken cable to the controller. With that being said when I move the controller in all directions I hear the motor working but nothing moves. If you can please give me some help that would be great. Thank you!
  2. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy Senior Member

it might be the controller, or check the parts that move the plow... :)
  3. kmlandscaping

kmlandscaping Junior Member

do you really think the controller is failing? The reason being is that when I move the controller the motor kicks on like it wants to move but unfortunately it does not. I appreciate your input!
  4. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy Senior Member

I think it might be something in the plow...play around with it a little...
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Cable adjustment. Ck westerns website for the adjusting info
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

disconnect the cables at the pump. get a jumper wire to apply ground to the solenoid (simulating what the controler does). this will run the electric motor just as the controller does. now move the levers at the pump with your finger one direction or another, and ground the solenoid. does this move the plow?

don't get pinched between the truck and the blade when angling the plow as you are standing in the danger zone. use common sense here - i would just ground the solenoid for about a second then stop so you don't end up getting hurt by a moving blade.

check westerns website as mentioned as well.

see page 7, part C for what's up,down, left, and right.

i'd read this entire document and fimialize yourself with the basics of this system. they are really quite simple and easy to work on. they are very reliable systems if setup properly.
  7. Midwest Plower

Midwest Plower Junior Member
    from Indiana

Old cable types are good for this. sounds like since you just replaced one cable it could be simple adjustments at the set screws where your cables go into the pump housing.