1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old western plow pump keeps running

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Fred Bear, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Fred Bear

Fred Bear Junior Member

I have an old western Isarmatic snow plow that was gave to me. It's on an 78 suburban. I just replaced the solenoid and everything seemed fine. But after I got done plowing today the pump just kept running. Even with the ignition off. I had to hurry and remove the battery cable. What might cause this?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck the 2 small wires at the solenoid. One is pwr, the other is your gnd signal off the controller. Might have a bad cable

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Look for a pinched/frayed wire between the controller and the 12v M.S. look at were it passes though the firewall closely.

The 12 v MS is ground activated

4. Sbdrums24

Sbdrums24 Junior Member
    from 23238

Or something broke inside your joystick controller and the wire is staying grounded....

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Try tapping on the silenoid might be stuck .Might have got a bad one.

6. Fred Bear

Fred Bear Junior Member

thanks everyone. I got it fixed. It was a bad solenoid. What I did was unhook the small wire at the solenoid and touch the battery cable to the post. Motor kept running so I figured it had to be the solenoid. Did an Ohm test across the 2 big posts and yup, it was closed.