1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Western Plow,Cables

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowdiff, Dec 22, 2009.

1. snowdiff

snowdiff Junior Member
    from usa

A bolt snapped off the bottom base lug on my isarmatic western pump casing,oiling my concrete floor for me.The bolt broke off halfway up inside of course and no way to get a chisel on it.Tried drilling,did just enough damage to where it is going to need to go to a shop for maybe a heli coil.Some of the bolt is still up in there....' I stopped before i really destroyed it.
    So now i get to remove the pump which i did not want to do because the cables scare me.Before i open this can-o-worms,could any one please tell me how hard they are to get off and how hard are they going to be to get back on and adjusted.Anything i should be aware of like exploding springs and flying ball bearings? i have a manual but it doesn't really explain the steps to removing the cables.

Thanks!

2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Its been a long time (20 years)....and I never took my cables off, because there were set screws holding the housing in place and they were all seized in.......That I remember. If you can get those set screws loose, they should be a breeze to remove

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

don't to anything else! spray the cables with penetrating oil. let set for an hour or so. if they are still there, put an allen wrench in the set screw and tap the wrench with a steel hammer. carefully try and turn the set screw. if it loosens you are in luck. if not, it can get complicated.

4. snowdiff

snowdiff Junior Member
    from usa

Ok thanks,i sprayed them down,going to let them sit for the night before i try.So when/if these loosen up,do the cables just come out or do i have to take the side covers off as well.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

note were the cables are held now and make sure they get set back the way they are now.
    you will have to pull the covers, but the cable should just pop off of the stud.