1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Western Plow Cable, angle problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jdragun, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jdragun

jdragun Junior Member

I have an old Western cable operated Mark III. The joystick broke last year, and replaced a new one with new cables. I had the issue of not being able to angle before the replacement, and I thought it could be a stretched cable. Now I can adjust out the screw to go either left or right, but not both. If I go WAY clockwise it goes left, but not right. If I go WAY counter clockwise, it will angle right. I have tried all the adjustments I can find, or think of. It seems the cable just will not go far enough wither way to work both ways. Last winter I used a local telephone pole to angle the plow the other way :) This is getting old though. Any ideas on what I can do? I have spend HOURS trying to adjust this to no avail.

Thanks

John

2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Could have something to do with your tires. if the tread on one gets off compared to the other side the plow just goes wonkey in all kinds of ways

its probably your 3 way valve. back of pump, loosen nut, use allen to turn it to the left slighty, they try, then more slightly, then try again.

its probably time for a new 3 way valve. oh, and double check ur fluid level. ya never know.

http://library.westernplows.com/default.asp?cat=213 this is the service manual. it has a flow chart of the most common problems. good document.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Could have something to do with your tires. if the tread on one gets off compared to the other side the plow just goes wonkey in all kinds of ways

its probably your 3 way valve. back of pump, loosen nut, use allen to turn it to the left slighty, they try, then more slightly, then try again.

its probably time for a new 3 way valve. oh, and double check ur fluid level. ya never know.

well no its not your tires lets start right there!!!!!!!!!!!!
    now the 4way valve might be where to start.
    also look into the 3way valve adjustment up front on the housing

4. dieselss

Thinking bout this more,,,I still think your cables are out if adjustment. If it goes both left and right but by adjusting cables more in one direction only. Rerereck your cables and the 3way valve adjustment

5. jdragun

jdragun Junior Member

Great doc. I had the short version, not the detailed version. i will try adjusting the lift valve. I didn't think it had anything to do with angling..

John

6. jdragun

jdragun Junior Member

I have checked the cables, if I move the lever in the 3-way, the blade will move both directions. It's like it won't move enough. I will try the 4-way adjust now. I did pull the cables out and re-ran then to the cab......

BTW: I didn't even think about tires.

7. jdragun

jdragun Junior Member

Is the 3-way adjustment just adjusting the cable screw? Are there any other 3-way valve adjustments?

8. dieselss

Yea that screw up front that's it is there full movement in the valve assm....under the cover,,,,,you said don't seem to move enough ? There any play ? Parts look worn?

9. jdragun

jdragun Junior Member

Parts don't look worn. Seems that the cable travel isn't enough to move the valve in both directions, I can get it close. I'm going now to adjust the 4-way hex screw. It's now snowing........

John

10. dieselss

Nice that.its snowing. It's not supposed to take a lot of travel to angle the plow.

11. jdragun

jdragun Junior Member

No good. I am thinking the 3-way is worn inside.........

12. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

that is what fixed mine. and the 3 ways are only 10-15 bucks around here.