1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Western Cable pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mr.Western, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Mr.Western

Mr.Western Junior Member

I have an old Western Unimount and when I go to raise the plow the lift ram goes half way up then the pump motor stops running? Anyone have any ideas?
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Your description gives little detail. Does it stop spinning or shut off? If your pressure relief valve is not opening and the system hits a dead end (hydrostatic lock) then the motor could be stopped but I suspect it would make bad crunching noises if that were the case. More likely that your 12 volt power is interrupted for some reason. I would take a test light and put it across the motor lugs and then run it up and down. If the light comes on with the motor and then goes off when the motor stops its a power feed issue. The light should stay on and the motor should run until you let your finger off the up button. If the test light stays on but the motor stops then the motor is bad. Why it stops at half way up is a question. Normally they would quit randomly in various positions.
    Give us some better details on what happens when it stops and we can go deeper. Like does the whole plow go silent when it gets to half way or does it make a screeching sound like the motor is still turning but the pump is overloaded? Does it quit with a click? Maybe disconnect the motor power plug at the grill and try hitting and holding the up button. You should hear a click when the motor relay (solenoid) engages. It should click again when you let go. But if you hold the button and after a couple seconds you hear the relay click off without letting go of the up button then there is a problem with controller or wiring.
    What happens if, after it stops at half way up, you wait a moment and hit up again? Will it move up or do nothing, or... ?
  3. Mr.Western

Mr.Western Junior Member

Thanks for the info but here after a quick diagnostic the pump had a huge air pocket in it, we ran the truck for a short time scraping a parking lot and it worked it self out all I had to do was top off the hydraulic oil