1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Western Cable Plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Arloslawn, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

This is an old style cable plow which will angle with no problems, however the plow will not raise nor lower. I can raise the plow with a jack and then use the controller and the chain will hold the plow up. I just got it back from a reputable small bussiness which fixed the plow since it wasnt angleing before. Ever since I got this plow back it will sometimes not raise but has always done so after a couple of times and now it will not raise nor lower but angles fine.

Does anyone have any ideas is it low on fluid, bad ground, I need to get this plow fixed before monday!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

3. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

cable broken or out of adjustment?

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

yes:nod:...

5. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the replies guys, I was outside last night playing with it and it works but I believe it is probably out of adjustment. I'll let you guys know if it works out.

Thanks again

6. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

While the diagram was very helpful I do not know where the adjustment for raising/lowering my plow is located, any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

end of the cable where it enters the housing. Lock nut and cable end. Loosen jam nut then turn cable end to lengthen or shorten, also need to loosen the set screw in the side off the housing.

8. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

Hey guys, thanks for the help.
    The plow ended up being stuck. So, I took a jack and lifted it up manually now its at my local western dealer where they are saying it maybe junk. Here is my question my truck is very reliable should I scrape the plow or keep fixing it. So far, there is a new motor and a new piece which controls the angeling.

I was thinking of purchasing a new snow dogg for a 1990 2500 or keep trying to fix it.