1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Western Cable Plow Electric motor ???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 2dogs2, Jan 7, 2010.

1. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

I have a 89 blazer with the old cable style hydraulics on it, last year I put a new electric motor, new cables, new pump and new wires on it. Last winter I also put a new interstate workhorse battery in. Now for some reason when I run the plow motor I can see the needle on the battery gauge drop.

I tested the charging system, it's putting out 14.2 volts, I load tested the battery and after 15 seconds it hits the weak area on the load tester, then returns to 12.5 volts. When I hook it to the battery charger after that it only takes a couple minutes on any charger to say it's fully charged.

I have the battery setup on a trickle charger when it's not plowing snow, since it's only being used around the farm.

Could there be something wrong with the electric motor on the plow that's causing the heavy drain?
  2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

more than likely you need 2 batteries. i have to with my old western with cable style setup.
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Those motors do pull juice..Have you check the grounds on the truck. Or you might have to put a higher amp alt?