1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Westerm Pump problem, HELP?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Nascar24, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I have an old western plow on my 87 Dodge Dakota which is new to me. I went to use it last night and the pump motor would not work unless I hit with a hammer! So I took the top of f the motor and it was a bucket of rust! So this morning I went down to the auto parts store and picked up a replacement motor. I installed the new motor ( on the Sam box it did say new version pump) and it started to work but it lifts a little but slows to a stop, but angles Fine?

I have no clue about these types of pumps, it is a cable operated model and all the cables and controls seem to be in working order, so what should I be looking for,, an adjustment? a worn out lift seal? crapped up filter?, or is it time for a rebuild?

I'm almost ready to remove all theWestern stuff and install a Meyer pump, harness and controls, but I know all you guys swear by these western pumps so I don't want to give up on it just yet, especially after I spent $150 for a new motor.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks
    Jay

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

go out side and jump the solenoid if the plow gos up quick you need 2 adjust the cable if it gos up slow clean out the pump

3. mnz28

mnz28 Member

4. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Thanks Guys!

I'll try jumping out the Solenoid and see what it does

The one thing I failed to say was the drop on this plow is wicked FAST! so does it sound more like a cable adjustment?

Thanks Again

Jay

5. mnz28

mnz28 Member

It does sound like a cable to me.

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

yessssssssssssssssss

7. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Thanks Again!

I haven't had much time to take a second look at it, but The previous owner had replaced the lift cable , just before I purchased it in July, so he probabaly just installed it and never adjusted it properly.

When I can find the time I'll go right there first.

Any special tips or precautions I should be aware of ?

thanks
    Again
    Jay

8. mnz28

mnz28 Member

Make sure you seal the cable openings on the housing after your done. If not slush and water gets in then freezes. I usually use some gasket maker .

9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Problem Solved!

Thanks for the great info!

I went out today and made the adjustment on the cable and now it lifts quick and drops perfectly!

I did notice some moisture in the covered area, so I will make sure that I seal it up with some RTV.

Thanks again!
    Jay