1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old vs Newer??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Double C, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

My question is could 3 "newer" Chevy trucks 1996 3500 4x4srw 8 1/2ft western mvp, 1998 2500 4x4 8 1/2 ft mvp, and a 2000 3500 4x4srw 9 1/2 ft mvp. Do the same work load in about the same time or close to as 5 old Chevy's 74-76 3/4T 4x4 8' str8 with wings?? Looking for opinions

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't think so. While you have Vee plows on the newer trucks the older ones have the wings which evens the playing field a little bit. My personal plowing experience is that the older straight axle Chevy trucks are fantastic. I have a 97 ECLB with a 8.5 XV. And an 81 3/4 ton with a 9 foot straight blade. The 81 absolutely rules, especially in driveways. Better visibility, more manuverable, it just has a great feel to it. It is fuel injected, which is very nice too. And it isn't as heartbreaking when you get a ding or dent in that old iron. Actually I don't get too wound up about dents on either truck. What I should do is swap plows.....

And there's no substitute for five trucks vs. three. I've been following your other post too. Five trucks means more labor, fuel, insurance, etc. Also means more redundancy, and better ability to clean up quickly when the storm ends at 5 am. Obviously you've got a lot on your plate right now. Need to put some numbers on paper, and sleep on it.

Money wise, you can probably buy those five trucks for the price of two new MVPs.

3. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

yes i do have alot on my plate at the moment!!!! however really appreciate all of the replys and advice i've been receiveing on this site!!!!!

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

We're glad to help you out. It doesn't hurt your case that you are polite, and don't come on here DEMANDING answers. LOL

Can you get some pics/stats on those five trucks?

5. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Though the 5 trucks is definately nice to have, you always have to factor in the reliability of the equipment, is it better to have 3 solid performers or five that are half as reliable as new. The inevitable breakdown, will not only reduce you down to 4,(even if its only temporary) it will leave you in a bind halfway into something. Thats not to say that you couldn't lose a brand spanking new truck, but the chances are less.

6. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

New or old, the breakdowns are inevitable. The chance that a breakdown would happen with a 35 year old truck seems to be a little higher than that of a 15 year old truck. However, you can have 5 trucks, and even having that 1 down will leave you in quite a bind, like Chris said. I think if you could get us some pictures we could help you out a little better with a decision. I was reading your other thread, and even if those five 70-76s are in fairly good condition, they are not worth the full price of that business, even after you factor in the customer list, I couldn't honestly see that going for 20k. And another thing, even if the 70-76s are in good condition, they are still 30+ years old. Whatever you choose, make sure you are comfortable with what your choosing. Good luck to you :salute:ussmileyflag

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would rather lose one of five trucks, than one of three. And there's no arguing those older trucks are very simple to work on, parts are cheap. It would be wise to have a few spare parts on the shelf. They nice thing is that they are the same. Starter, alternator, wiper motor, heater motor. Go through them and make sure fluids are clean and full, go over the wiring looking for any trouble spots.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Alot will depend on experience. 3 experienced plow guys will outplow 5 newbies.

9. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Well said Hydro...total truth.

10. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I was just about to say the same thing.

Good drivers wont beat up your trucks as badly also. They do cost a little more though payup

11. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If you have ever plowed with a V blade, you wouldn't even be asking this IMO. A Vee will hands down be 30-40% more efficient then a straight blade even with wings. Plus you can always run wings on a V blade. I sold my old blade a straight with wings to a guy that plows for me now. I replaced it with an 8.5' with wings and would leave a pile at the end of a pass that was probably every bit twice the amount of snow as my old blade did. Plus you will only have to pay 3 guys vs. 5 guys, maintain 3 trucks vs. 5 trucks, insure 3 trucks vs. 5 trucks. At the end of the day 3 trucks with Vees will leave more money in your pocket than 5 with straight blades and that is why you are doing this anyway right?