1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Old " Trucks

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by oman1999, Nov 22, 2007.

1. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

How many of you all like old trucks? Not ghetto trucks, just ones that have survived to ripe old age but are still capable and functional in a plow job.

I'm working on a 1982 GMC sierra that was originally equipped with a 6.2L Diesel. Now has a Stahl utility body and a 350 gasser. Easy tow work on, in fact, I think that I could re-wire the entire truck in a weekend. I did the total re-wire and upgrade of the charging, starting and plow electrical systems. Body wiring has a few bugs to find but they are minor things like no dome light and such.

Kinda like working with it because it's so easy and cheap to wrench on but you sure miss the nice aspects of a late model truck such as good defrosters, real cup-holders and comfy seats. Oh well. I think we got enough of a snow scare hear in illinois to shake a few more contracts loose.

Good luck guys.

2. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

Well, not sure if my '73 Dodge W100 qualifies as "ghetto"--body is needing some serious attention (I've been prioritizing the mechanicals with my limited time, catching up on a serious maintenance backlog) but it plows snow like a son of a b-tch, starts right up on the coldest mornings, and like your Jimmy is so simple to work on. I'm rewiring everything bit by bit (most of what's under the hood and in the dash has been redone), just installed headlight relays which are a major improvement.

Yeah, I like old trucks. They require commitment and attention, but often you're rewarded with a very reliable workhorse. And if something does go wrong, more often than not you can get it back in service quickly yourself.

Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict