1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old trucks as plow trucks.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FurFishGame, Oct 1, 2013.

1. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

currently i have a 1993 chevy silverado, I'm concerned that it will not make it through the winter and want to offset that by getting "new" truck, I was looking at a 1970 chevy with a new 350, new clutch, and a 2 year old, 4 way plow set up. my brother (not a plow guy, but a truck guy) says buy a new truck not a old one! well obviously id love a nice little '06 f250, but as a 17 year old just getting started I'm not rolling in dough, though I do have a full tine job framing houses.

what are your thoughts? obviously, i will use my best judgment with any truck, but is there certain things i should be wary of with old trucks and relying on them in the winter?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

what is wrong with your 93?
    have you ever plowed with a stick? why is the guy selling the tk?
    theres always a plus and a minus with old iron

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Plowing with a stick kind of sucks. I would avoid it if possible. other than that, the thing with old trucks

negatives-
    no heated seats
    noisier and carb instead of fuel injection

positives-
    easier to work on
    better looking
    parts more available
    parts are cheaper
    more durable
    easier to work on

I plow large commercial properties. They might not be as fancy as a 40 thousand dollar truck, but when i make 40 thousand, 5 of it pays for the truck, 35 thousand is in my pocket. while the guy with a 40 thousand dollar truck hasn't made a dime yet. just food for thought.

[​IMG]

4. dieselss

Hey now. Heated seats. You mean heated rear view mirrors dontcha? Lol
    I'll kinda say this. Some dealer only parts are hard to find tho. But I'm not dealing with that old. Just mid nindies

5. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

problems with my 93, 244,000 miles developed a rod knock, 2nd gear synchro out in the tranny, bad brakes, bad clutch, 4 wheel drive starting to go, yes i could fix those, but it would cost more than its worth, i think.

most of my plow experience is with a stick..

6. dieselss

Understand. That's a lot of stuff.
    I know where your coming from what would be better. If you have good parts pple up there and can turn a wrench nothing super bad with old iron. But again just remember some parts are obsolete.

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

what would be obsolete on a 70-80's chevy??? i havent found anything yet. iirc thats what he wants to get.

besides, theres gazillions of them in peoples yards and junk yards to rob parts off of if you could find something that was obsolete anyways.

8. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i say do it.

9. dieselss

Frame cross members.

10. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

how do you destroy a frame cross member?

11. dieselss

Well. Naturally lol. Rust.
    It's happened on like 3 of our tks now. Rusted out won't pass dot so tk is done.
    I'm just saying that's all. Nothing negative towards old iron but just stating parts can be hard to find. If the tk is
    in good shape and not rotted out. Go for it
    Oh and side bar.....guy plowing a lot hit a raised man hole. Bent the tk frame! Says he wasn't going fast so just a salting tk now

12. DesMoines2500

DesMoines2500 Senior Member

We started last year in about the same position as you. Low budget startup. Most threads caution on avoiding trucks with plows on them already but that's the direction we went and didn't have any (many) problems. None at all with out 2000 2500, total beast. The 1993 F250 needed brakes and exhaust done but we got it for $3000 with the plow included so still came out ahead. Only $9000 total investment for two plow trucks WITH the plows attached.

The only issue now is that I don't want a beater for my next truck but don't have the room for yet another truck. I want something that will hold a new Vee plow and be a decent year round utility truck as well as room for my kids in back. The grass is always greener, ya know? Yet here I am, leaving in 20 minutes to go look at a $1700 1995 K2500 off craigslist in the **** part of town...

13. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

must be in the south part of des moines. or east side. lol.

my old iron is snow only. it plays lawn ornament the rest of the year.