1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old truck or new truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Freddy_Kruger, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

I've been doing residential snow removal for years with shovels and snow blowers this year I want to get set up with truck and plow.

So Old truck or new? BUT I cant afford new:(

So newish 10-15 grand half ton or older diesel 250 for 10 grand or less (1993).

I guess people here say you need heavier trucks for commercial but I just do residential drive ways. I plan on using a pull back plow to get the snow to the street and then a push plow to get it up on the snow banks.

Any advice would be helpful I only got 5 months you know :)

2. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

i'd go older your gong to beating this truck around a fair bit,even residential i'd go 3/4 cuz its built to withstand the abuse.

keep the extra money you save by buying the older truck and keep saving up to replace it every so often to avoid expensive mechanical and body work.

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

4. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

looks decent,too bad it wasn't cheaper.i'd look at one already with a plow to save you buying a plow plus the truck,but as you know a plow truck will have been run hard so its up to you

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If I ws only doing residential drives and looking for an older truck I would buy a 1/2 ton Chev or GMC. Try to find a Z71 with the heavier suspension. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck would have most likely been for work and been used hard. You should be able to fin a gently used 1/2 ton from a person who just wanted a truck. It should also be less money then the others. I would also look for a truck that has not been plowed. Even if you could find a used plow and put that on.

6. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

how much of a difference is the z71 suspension compared to a average 3/4 ton?

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The Z71 suspension will be lighter then a 3/4 ton truck. A friend of mine and his crew and my crew run a total of 6, 1/2 ton trucks. I have not seen these with more break downs then the other truck but these are all owner operator and I am sure that they don't beat them. If I was going to put a driver in a truck it would not be a 1/2 ton. One of the guys has a 860 Blizzard speedwing on a 2005 Avalanche, and another has the same plow on a 2003 Z71.

8. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

3/4 ton 1 ton blah blah blah....get what will work for you and your budget. just remember plows cost money so ull be spend a good chunk on a truck then and little chunk on a plow...try to find something that youll like...ive plowed in new old little and somewhat big but i love my s10 for plowing residental i even do two parkin lots with it...if you get to big if you have a small driveway then ull be hurtin with a real big truck with an 8-8.5ft plow so i would stay 7.5 on the plow...but just be smart about what you buy dont jump on the 1st 3/4 ton truck even if you get a 1/2 ton ull be fine just make sure you dont kill it...which u shouldnt be doing on driveways anyways but like cet said they dont abuse the 1/2 tons

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  9. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I built my own, for a lot less then it would cost to buy new
    Motor $1400
    Trans/transfer rebuild $750
    2wd truck body $400
    4x4 with a rusty body $250
    Rebuild rears $275 (parts)
    $500 in extra parts Brake lines, fuel lines, paint, alt, starter, master cylinder, U –joints and other little parts

I have about 8 weekends into the truck and 2 more into cleaning, painting, and installing the plow Friday 2 or 3 hours Saturday 8 to 10 hours Sunday 8 to 10 hours. Oh and every Monday evening at the parts store to make sure to have ordered all the parts I would need for the next weekend.