1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old truck, old plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 93chevy, Nov 10, 2014.

1. 93chevy

93chevy Junior Member
    from Indiana

I am a plow my church parking lots for abut 5 years now and a few driveways, people catch me all the time to plow their driveways, I have had to learn just by doing, trial and error, gotten stuck a couple times pile-ing, it takes me about 2 hours to plow the parking lots, I have a 93 chevy, long bed, I pile on about 10 bags of salt for ballast, usually don't use 4x4, once I plow a furrow half way I tend to put the 4x4 in to carry the weight the rest of the way, my truck only has a 6 cylinder, I have put a new transfer case in, new gas tank, I have off road tires for traction, my set up is 15" tires, stock is 16", so I have a lot of torque I can use, I have a 5 speed auto transmission, 1st gear seams like there is nothing that will stop it, I don't plow commercial, I have a 7 1/2' Western plow big sucker, heavyweight frame, pretty much had it built it to the truck, broke a push bar once, had welded and kept going, is there anything I can do to do things better to make my truck last as long as it can.

2. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

maintain the truck, follow proper prevenative maintainence schedules. Change trans fluid and filter before every season. take care of the truck and it'll take care of you

3. 93chevy

93chevy Junior Member
    from Indiana

actually I have never changed the trans fluid, so I guess I hit that up

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Tune it up.

5. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

plowing is very tough on the trans, even with a responsible driver.

6. 93chevy

93chevy Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have done just the basic tune-up, 4.3 liter motor looks rough, but is a workhorse, starts every time when it is the coldest out, I grease all the joints, body is rusted pretty bad but spray inhibitor on it, I have had the truck about 10 years, put the plow on 8 years ago, been plowing only 5 years, put about 1000 miles on it per winter

7. dieselss

What's basic?

8. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

the 4.3l is a good motor. it will probably outlast the truck.

9. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

agreed, whats your defination of basic?

10. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

As a former mechanic, I can tell you from experience, if the truck is that old with that many miles on it, and you haven't changed the tranny fluid, DON'T TOUCH IT! Top it off if need be, but don't drop the pan. You will be replacing/rebuilding the tranny if you do. For some reason, if you do routine service on an auto trans like you should, then everything is great and keep doing it. But, if you never service it, and all of a sudden you do, the thing goes to sh** in a hurry and you end up needing a new one or rebuild.

11. 93chevy

93chevy Junior Member
    from Indiana

my basic tune up is, I change oild every year, good oil, filter, air filter, plugs, put bosch platinum, need to check brakes, been a while,

12. dieselss

Wires? Distributor system? Cap and rotor? Front end parts? P/s fluid? Fuel filter? And as you said, brakes.

13. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

how about the plug wires, cap, and rotor. deteriorating cap and rotor are common causes for no start condition during rain/snow due to the moisture

14. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

how is keeping the bad fluid in there helping?? no problems will be caused by dropping the pan and changing the filter, unless its operator error.

15. dieselss

All the garbage floating around in the fluid helps the wearing clutch packs.

16. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

the garage floating around also accelerates wear

17. dieselss

True. So it's a catch 22.

18. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Dont touch the trans

19. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Just trying to help you. That is what this site is all about. I was a professional (not shade tree) mechanic for about 15 years before I quit to do lawncare full time and I saw it many times, people who serviced regularly did fine, people who didn't and all of a sudden did, ended up needing a new trans within a couple weeks-to a month of being serviced. Call your local trans shop or chevy dealer and ask if you don't believe me. If they are any good, they will tell you what I have. DON'T TOUCH IT. Keep it full, don't run it low on fluid and run it til it quits.

20. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

The old fluid has all the worn off friction material in it. When you chsnge the fluid all of a sudden everything will start slipping. At least thats how it was explained to me