1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Truck, New Truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Spudman, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Spudman

Spudman Member

For the past 5 seasons, my plow/work truck was a 2007 Toyota Tundra with a 7.5' Fisher X-Blade. Earlier in 2013 I sold the Tundra and bought this 2012 GMC 2500HD, and added a used 9' Fisher X-Blade I bought in northern Maryland.

Same spot, different trucks.

Photos of the headache racks.
  2. Drewster2012

Drewster2012 Senior Member
    from Ma

Nice looking truck! Love the gmc what package is it? Work truck? Or what?
  3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I have to say, I like the new one more! Both are beautiful trucks.
  4. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Spudman,looks good,as did the Toyota.Good luck with it.Can you compare the two trucks?
  5. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I think you just broke mercer's heart.
  6. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

Nice upgrade! Does the truck ride in unplowed snow when cornering or is the 9ft plow wide enough for the wheelbase?
  7. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I like the headache rack setup on the Yota better.
  8. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

They are both really nice trucks. Which do you like better for comfort and also for plowing?
  9. Spudman

Spudman Member

The GMC is a 2012 with the Work Truck Preferred Package. The Tundra was an SR5, so it had a few more options, but in the farming business, a simple, carpet-less interior is preferable (to me anyway).

In terms of plowing and towing, the GMC definitely handles the weight better and rides better when loaded, but I think the 5.7L motor in the Toyota was a bit more powerful. My biggest motivation for switching to the GMC was for the heavier spring rating and the ability to pull a heavier gooseneck trailer. Overall, both have been excellent trucks that I work/worked hard everyday.

With the 9' plow I can make a full-lock turn and not drive over any snow when the blade is angled into the curve.
  10. LopatLT7495

LopatLT7495 Member

Nice looking trucks, both old and new! Just curious how you wired your mini bar, are the wires just loomed and then run in the cab under the 3rd brake light?
  11. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Very nice trucks, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody buys a straight blade anymore!
  12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Less to break
  13. 2006Sierra1500

Or no need for a V. My straight blades(all four of them) work great. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

How many miles did your Tundra have Spudman? I wish I had known you was selling it because I'm going to be replacing my 2002 Chevy 1500 and I'm seriously considering a Tundra. Your new GMC is nice to. Good luck with it.
  15. 2006Sierra1500

I'd replace it with a nice 3/4 ton instead of a slightly tough half ton. At the end of the day, a Tundra is still a half ton.
  16. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Sweet setup. Where in MD did you buy it? Probably near me lol.
  17. mercer_me

I might end up with a 3/4 ton GMC but, it's still a toss up. I honestly don't need a 3/4 ton. I only plow a few driveways and the heaviest thing I tow is a car or pickup on a car trailer and that only happens once or twice a year. I can put air bags in the rear and Bilstien coil overs in the front of a Tundra and get a lot better ride than a 3/4 ton. But, like I said I'm still undecided.
  18. Spudman

Spudman Member

Yes, in through the 3rd brake light and connected to the factory accessory light harness.

If I were trying to make a living plowing snow I would have a V-blade. But I just plow our own properties; grain and potato storages. Plus it is mostly roads and long driveways, so I am angled either full left or full right most of the time. If anything, a side wing would save me more time than a V-blade.

158,000 miles Mercer, probably more than you would want on a replacement truck.

New Windsor.
  19. mercer_me

I just saw this, I was definitely disappointed when I saw this. I don't get to see any more pictures of my dream truck. :cry: I guess I'll just have to buy a Tundra and set it up pretty much identical to it. Thumbs Up

Yeah, 158,000 is way more miles than I want. I really want to find something with under 50,000 miles and definitely no more than 75,000 miles. Did you sell it just the way it sat, with the plow and all the accessories?
  20. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Looks great man love those GMC's!