1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Toro 7hp 24" Snow Comander vs NEW Toro 721 vs Toro Power Curve 621...?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Exact Services, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

I have opportunity to acquire a decent used old school Toro Commander now.

Just need to know how it compares to the new 721...?

My older Tecumseh Snow King powered 621 has a toasted carb and it does have more grunt than the 221.

Thus far the modern 21" Power Curve Toro blowers are just plain faster. In fact I'm selling my Honda 520 just too cumbersome with that chute handle even if it is easy to start and fairly quiet. Sorry Honda might be time for an update.

:waving:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. Exact Services

BUMP...!

Looking at a used one today. $350-$300. Need to move on this or forget it already.

3. Exact Services

I think I'm only going to trade for a combat shotgun I don't need. So this way I'm not out the money vs paying for a new 721 next winter.

Any further input would be great.

4. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

I use a snow commander. Put it to the test today. About 8" of heavy wet stuff, mostly gunk that was tossed onto the sidewalk by the town plows. Real wet stuff. It got bogged down here and there, but it made it through. It was the first time I used it in this kind of snow, and I was very impressed by it.

5. Exact Services

Looked at the snow commander tonight and this is yet another occasion where the seller hasn’t even bothered to make sure the unit is operational. Chute handle missing, kill switch is inoperative, worn paddles and scrapers, belt engagement out of adjustment etc. Unit has probably seen more hours than my most haggard Toro.

Anyhow I was able to tell that the unit does have more grunt than my other Toro's 2 and 4 stroke and it would be worth acquiring one if one crosses my path....but not this one. Selling my Honda 520 ASAP.

Yeah I could lift the heavier Snow Commander in and out of my truck bed but why do that when a hitch rack is faster and lower and accounts are often just 2 doors down. Work smarter not harder.

6. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

I have (5) snow commanders, and (2) 721's. Both are great machines, as the commander is a bigger and heavier unit. Hard to lift alone into a truck. The 721 has allot of power, but a more narrow cut. I like the 2-stroke vs the 4, less parts, no oil to chg.

The snow commander is a proven machine, the 721 is not. We shall see how the engine holds up over time. Personally, I have yet to see a single stage machine out preform the snow commander. I love mine.....

7. Exact Services

Thanks for the input on this. Precisely the feedback I'm looking for.

:waving: