1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old timers...they just make me laugh

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman5313, Jun 15, 2010.

1. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

A 30 acre property, with maybe a mile of walks is up for bid. I showed up early and there was less then 5 people at the table. A few minutes before the start about 15 more bidders showed. At first the old guys at the end of the table were sitting with all the confidence in the world. Then it seemed that they **** themselves. Come to find out they were the ones that had the work for the last 10+ years. This year some of the bidders are absolute *****s when they bid it out and sub to morons. 3 of the bidders I know lost large places last year during the big snow and for not having enough equipment to move snow. Some of the premeeting crap throwing was funny. Just sitting there and listening to guys say they lost propertys and contracts to market conditions makes a guy wonder why the hell he is doing the work for peanuts.

My smile came when someone asked if they were going to check on equipment. you know when you say you have a loader...you have a f-ing loader. not my buddies, not ill rent one for that storm... The old timer does have the loaders and the guys. He is a big excavation company that is 3 miles away. They need something bigger they have it. The funny thing is that this year the contract is going to be seasonal not hourly. lets face it if it was hourly any moron can go hourly and bring in all his toys.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Umm..... What?
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

4. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

Ok sum up. economy got tough and this property is being bid by guys that sub it to morons. It was just funny that the company that had that property wasn't ready for the rush of guys bidding out the work.

A few of the guys have no work in the area (1 hour away) and are going to get a crew running just for that account.

And a few of the guys are known to be bid cheap, hire cheaper subs and duing last years big 14"-20" snow storm got replaced.
  5. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mark ---- Nice....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  7. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

you just had to be at that meeting...
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What I meant by summing it up was the link I posted. Not more jibberish

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Excellent post:salute:

I nominate this for the best use of youtube in a post award for this year
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

junk mail!!!
  12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Fifth. :eek:
  14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Right or wrong I counted this one as third....:blush2:
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've never seen you blush before.
  16. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Use guys just isn't gonna get it, must be a cheese head thing.....;)

That's just the beginng of the story from the OP. I'll fill in the balance, maybe it makes more sense then:

- Smaller companies see big $$$$$ in the property, bid where they think they will make big $$$$$$$, but still end up undercutting existing, apt contractor big time.

- Customer wades through the decision of who to hire, but ends up signing with low bidder, regardless of their gut feeling. Margins are tight in this economy, party in charge has the chance to look like a "hero" for saving all this money, it is just "simple" snow removal & lawn cutting anyways, right????????? What could go wrong hiring the low bidder?

- The orginal contractor refuses to move on price, knowing he can't compete with a price he absolutely knows is a loss on a big winter. He hopes he has the oppurtunity to regain the contract if/when new contractor is in-ept.

The only one getting ahead in this whole game is more than likely the equipment leasing company. :dizzy:
  17. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for summing it up Joe..:help:.....Man, I gotta get a life...:dizzy:
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Thanks for translating:nod:
  19. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Lets see now.

20. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member