1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old style western cable plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by psehunter007, Jan 31, 2014.

1. psehunter007

psehunter007 Junior Member

I bought a old style western cable plow, when I go to raise it my lights dim and my rpms drop, I have replaced the controls and cables, battery, solenoid, drained and cleaned reservoir, cleaned the pump filter, I have power to the solenoid and the motor lug, also my wiring is correct according to the western mechanics guide

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I assume the motor runs, right? sounds like a bad motor. they draw too many amps when there about to die.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Beg, borrow or steel a clamp on amp meter. Measure the current the motor is actually drawing. Typically they draw 60 to 80 amps going up initially and once moving amps should drop to about 40 until it hits end of travel. Then it will go up again some.
    If the current is not high then u need to look for a bad connection at the battery posts. The battery should fill in when the alternator can't keep up. If there is a bad connection that current can't get out of the battery.
    If u connect a voltmeter between battery positive and motor positive lug. Will b 12 until you activate the motor at which time it should drop to less than one volt. More than one means u have a bad connection. Do the same from negative post of battery to motor negative lug. Will be 0 volts until u activate motor at which time it will go up. Should not go over one volt. If it does.... U know... Bad connection. This kind of connection problem will only shoe during high current draw.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  4. psehunter007

I believe the motor runs to some extent because the ram attempts to raise but then quits, I will definitely get a voltmeter, the western mechanics guide says if the shaft on the pump spins easily then it's a bad motor, mine spins easy, also when I attempt to raise it the positive lug on the motor gets extremely hot

5. psehunter007

Correction amp meter

6. psehunter007

Nealybird that's what I think is going on, I mean I don't know a whole lot about plows as this is my first. Bought on the assumption that it was complete and working, needless to say I was very wrong

7. mishnick

What exactly is the problem? The lights on truck dimming or the plow not moving / not going up? If u have the motor out try spinning the armature. It should turn easy too. If the motor pos lug gets hot it can mean either a bad motor drawing too much current or a bad connection at pos lug. Sounding more and more like a bad motor. If u buy a new one make sure u show them the old one because there r two different kinds.

8. psehunter007

Yes the lights dimming way down and my rpms drop almost enough to stall my truck, I do not have the plow on but the ram acts like it wants to go up, also I can kind of hear the motor running but it doesn't sound like it normally should, like it's not spinning fast enough or working to hard

9. psehunter007

Also when I had the motor off it seemed to spin pretty easy

10. mishnick

If motor spins freely then bearings should b ok. May be the armature or field windings r cooked and shorting out. With no load (plow off) it takes very little energy to turn the pump. Knowing that the lights dim, the lug gets hot and there is no load it is obvious that the motor is shot.

11. psehunter007

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it, I'm going to get a new motor or at least order one, I'll will keep you posted on the outcome.

12. psehunter007

The motor was bad, now I think I have air in my L/R cylinders, but dont know how to bleed them

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

you don't have to bleed them. just angle back and forth with the blade on the ground. it will be jerky the first couple of times and then smooth out. that's the air working it's way out.