1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old style western cable plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by psehunter007, Jan 30, 2014.

1. psehunter007

psehunter007 Junior Member

I bought a old style western cable plow, now when I go to raise it my lights dim really bad and my rpms drop, looking for possible cause, I have replaced my controls and cables ,solenoid ,battery, replaced plow oil and cleaned the screen on the pump. Someone told me that I don't have enough grounds
  2. Rusty Silence

Rusty Silence Senior Member

Have you had your alternator tested?
  3. psehunter007

No I have not, I think it's a bad motor ,the positive motor lug gets really hot when I try to raise it and my plow isn't even on the truck
  4. Rusty Silence

Rusty Silence Senior Member

yeah probably the motor. I would take it apart and have a look inside. You might get a better response posting in the western forum too.
  5. MattR

MattR Senior Member

First thing I would do is recheck ALL connections, positive and ground. Clean them really good and make sure they are getting a good connection.
  6. psehunter007

Yea I realized I posted in the wrong forum, I've triple checked all my connections, thanks for the input guys
  7. Plow-jeff

Plow-jeff Senior Member

Had this problem on 2 different occasions. First time it was bad alternator and one of the dual batteries was bad. Second time it was a fusible link and the plow wasn't grounded properly. After I grounded the plow to the battery and the battery to the frame, I also ground from the frame to the motor. Upgrading to a 100 amp alt from napa helped.
  8. Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave Member

Why don't you load test the motor. Mine did that last year for a couple weeks than it quit completly. I put a new motor on did a flush and fill and its worked great eversince. I think a motor was only about a hundered bucks. You know the cable plow has been in service for decades. and its probably saw alot of use. I know mine has been in use since the early 80's.Im pretty sure I got my moneys worth out of it.