1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old style steel wheels on newer truck fitment

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hankhill, Jan 9, 2014.

1. hankhill

hankhill Member

Hey guys, I have a 2003 2500hd 4x4 and I'm looking to get a spare set of wheels I can find a lot of nice cheap sets of the old steel wheels from the 92-98 k2500-k3500, 8 lugs obviously.

my question is will those wheels fit right on my current 2500hd?

2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

i wouldn't put the old ones on. many safety reasons and durability and longevity problems
    look on craigslist for new take off rims for your model truck
  3. hankhill

hankhill Member

Never heard of any problems with the old steelies? I had a 97 k3500 with 100k miles on the original steelies when I sold it

Guess I'll keep up my search, wouldn't mind a set of the factory 16" aluminum wheels
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Craigslist and eBay. You can find full sets made for your truck dirt cheap.
  5. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Wheels are wheels. GM offers both still as far as I know.

The are not going to change rear axle flanges and front wheel hub flanges with different sized center holes or different wheel stud patterns. Just because the truck comes with a steel wheel or a cast wheel.

Even the wheel offset needs to be the same because the tires have to have the proper wheel well clearance.

Aluminum wheels are better. Though if all the pocket can afford steel will do.

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

GM has been using the same 8 lug pattern back to the 1960's (and maybe earlier). it is a 8x6.5" lug pattern.

In 2011 they changed to a metric pattern of 8x180mm (for SRW trucks) and 8x210mm (for DRW trucks)

so find a set of 2010 or earlier 8 lug GM wheels and they will fit your truck. also ford used the 8x6.5" pattern up until 1997 and i believe dodge still uses it to this day. in my opinion, the big 3 all should have stuck with the 8x6.5" pattern.

but i would try to find GM rims for a GM truck. also measure the diameter of your current center hole and be sure the rims you find have a hole the same size (or bigger). offset shouldn't be a concern if you get a factory set of rims, but again something worth measuring before you buy. Its really the aftermarket super wide wheels where not only the width but the offset also become a concern.
  7. hankhill

hankhill Member

Thanks for your help guys, I'm going to continue my search for the aluminum 16" wheels. I don't know why but I can't find any around here, I been looking for a week now on craigslist.
  8. nixray

nixray Senior Member

To help with your search; craigslist for a part out truck or a wrecked truck. Often times you can make an offer on the rims.
  9. hankhill

hankhill Member

Good idea, I was also thinking about going to the local junk yard because we have a huge GM/chevy specific yard local to me. I just wonder how much they would want per wheel.