1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old style Boss conversion

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ice Scream, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

Has anyone converted the old style boss with a engine driven hydraulic setup for a truck?
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Must be a REALLY old one. Doesn't sound hard, but it does sound expensive. Probably more than the plow is worth. Best off to keep or repair what you have I would guess. Engine driven pumps are still available.

Then again, if whatever valving you have is possibly reusable, that would really keep the price down. A regular electric powerpack (like SPX Stone, Monarch, etc) without valves would probably be around $500. (in fact come to think of it I have a rebuilt one here with no reservoir...)

Maybe you can describe or take a picture of your current hydraulic setup. That would be helpful.
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i thought that you could option to get an engine driven pump with the new plows.
  4. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

I have a the first generation boss, the ones with the hydraulic set up that goes under the hood. The only thing I have is the blade and angle cylinders. I am build a work truck and I thought I would build a hydraulic set up. The aftermarket setup usually are setup for straight blades. I was thinking of doing it with a engine driven pump with a valve bank.
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well regardless of what style you use, you need a pump, reservior, and something to drive it. That is what makes the electric powerpack nice--simplicity.

Valving will be the most expensive part for you. You pretty well need electric valves... or at least cable operated. You basically need a valve to lift up and down, a valve forward and back for the LH side, and a valve forward and back for the RH side... and something to control it.

I'm guessing you probably need the better part of a grands worth of parts. Definately consider just buying the original stuff and bolting it on and saving a pile of time... you will make it up when it is operational next winter.
  6. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

I know its not going to be cheap, but I can run my winch and bed hydraulics on it. I have the tank, hoses, and valve bank. I just wanted to see if someone else has come up with the idea or has ideas on it.
  7. snatchal

snatchal Member

IceScream. I have the old style with the pump that mounts under the hood. It's a Barnes pump with the valves hooked to the side. I have been planning to replace the bed with a dump rack. It would be nice if a guy could use the same pump for the plow and the dump. Kind of like central hydraulics. I'm just not sure if the pump is big enough to handle a dump cylinder. Probably need a bigger reservoir. E-mail me at snatchal@hotmail