1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old story...but so stereotypical

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Upper5percent, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

2 Staten Island cops hurt in crash
    by Staten Island Advance
    Sunday December 16, 2007, 3:10 PM

Two women police officers from Staten Island's 120th Precinct were injured today when their patrol car struck a snow-clearing vehicle at about 8:30 a.m., on Forest
    Avenue near Sanders Street in Graniteville.

The two officers, whose names were not released, were both conscious and in stable condition at Richmond University Medical Center, West Brighton, and were expected to be released tonight from the hospital, police said.

According to witnesses, the patrol car was driving, sirens blaring, on the wrong side of the street, heading east on Forest Avenue. The plow maintained its course rather than pulling over, and the police car could not swerve out of its path.

"They tried to put on the brakes. The street was full of ice and it was sliding," said Sherif Fahmy, the manager at Bagel Land, who watched the events unfold from his store across the street. "I was really scared because the crash made a big noise."

Fahmy said other witnesses tried to pull the officers from the car, but within moments a number of police cars and ambulances had arrived at the accident scene in front of PS 22.

The driver of the plow, he said, was standing next to the vehicle, apparently uninjured.

Police declined to comment on the circumstances of the accident.

Four squad cars from the 120th Precinct were parked outside the Richmond University Medical Center emergency room yesterday, but officers leaving the hospital refused to prodvide any information.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I resized it so I could see it.

cops (Medium).JPG
  3. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

thanx for the resized pic it helps out alot as for the police OWIE there gonna feel that in the morning typical women police officers think they know it all and then guess what plow beats car everytime lol hope there alright though
  4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i hope those stupid idiots lose their badges....and have to pay for the car.....how dumb can you get?

and as well i hope they are fine so they won;t get any settlement from the wreck..
  5. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

pro-tech plows should use it their ads-----can stop speeding at a moments notice
  6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What a bunch of morons- where did they think the sno-pusher (and loader) were going to go?
    I'm not sure about NYPD, but in NJ we're NEVER allowed to run down the wrong side of the road, unless its closed (Ambulances and rescue). Someone probably wasn't paying attention to what they were doing and shouldn't have been going down the road INTO oncoming traffic!:dizzy:
  7. fisher guy

it hit so hard it even messed up the trunk what freaking morons i can already see what NYPD is gonna tell the body shop to get that fixed "light body damage" lol
  8. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Ok they were driving on the wrong side of the road.. But i think the more important question is why was somone running a protech on a street? Was he plowing? or was he in transit to another lot? Wish there were more details... On a side note this is a true exampe of the theory that the vehicle with the largest tires WILL win.
  9. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Some cops got a attitude problem, same thing in my little town, they got the power and weapons, and at times they exceed the parimeters of the job. To be clear, not all law enforcement personell,but there are a few in every station, that tend to be a little "above the law" in their work habits.
  10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

umm....so because the cops were traveling too fast for conditions to avoid a collision it's the plows fault?.

so..if they blew into an intersection before making sure it was clear and t-boned someone...it's not thier fault either huh?...

how about the cops drive the appropriate speed to avoid colliding with the civilians, look at the car...if they hit that hard they must have been "counting" on the plow seeing everything and having enough reaction time and room to maneuver his machinery out of the way before the car flew by.....obviously a case of not giving yourself enough room to avoid collision...

just becasue you have sirens and lights DOES NOT make it ok to "assume" everyone will move for you....
  11. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

Two words.... " Natural Selection "
  12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

we dont know how fast they were going

if they T bone someone with out carefull coming into an insection and stopping first. Then yes they can be found at fault.

Your right about people not moving for you. But it is the law

Oh and here is a good question for you. Its an old law that most people do not know about. What is the only vehicle that run a red without slowing or stopping to check for traffic. its an Old law BTW but its still on the books
  13. fisher guy

14. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

A dodge with a Cummins??
  15. BigDave12768

No that should be the law though. And Ambulances have to stop before going through
  16. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

My brothers are professional fire fighters and they have always told me if I ever get hit by a vehicle with lights and sirens they are at fault. When they approach they are " asking for right of way" it is not a given thing. There are too many variables to expect the right of way to be given. The cops can write a ticket, but any lawyer will make the plow driver the victim !!! My brother had a co worker driving the engine to a call and " they were " t- boned turning into the drive way of the call. Not their fault yet the co worker was considered at fault. People are too dumb to be expected to give the right of way:dizzy:

17. BigDave12768

Your right but these vehicles dont have sirens or lights. Its a very old that dates back to the 20's I think. Back when they didnt have many sets of lights. But you never see them run a light now adays. But you do see them break every other traffic law on the road and the police cant stop them at all.
  18. fisher guy

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

mail truck
  20. E-MAN NY

E-MAN NY Senior Member

I dont think anyone should be calling two on duty Police Officers in a marked car with lights and sirens on Morons when we do not know the facts......I can assure you they werent going to get coffee. I would imagine in those conditions (slippery) to respond like that, it was probably a "Heavy" job. To take the opposite side of Forrest ave in snow is dangerous on a good day. And i would like to know what a SNO-PUSHER was doing on that street also, and why he didnt heed the Police approaching? Oh well, just my (Attitude) two cents.....:)