1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old ST-90 on 1994 F-250?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by gustang818, Feb 21, 2007.

1. gustang818

gustang818 Junior Member

I have an old Meyer ST-90 snow plow with a belt driven hydraulic pump and the conventional mount that fits the 1972-1993 Dodge trucks. I would like to use this plow on a 1994 Ford F-250 to plow a 1/8th mile country driveway. It will only be used a few times per year so the cost of buying new is not justified.

My understanding is that Meyer discontinued the conventional mount in 1991 and that even if it hadn’t, the ‘92-‘98 F-250 chassis is somehow different. How much different is the ‘92-‘98 chassis and would a ‘91 Ford F-250 mount be a good starting point to modify or fabricate a new mount?

I’ve heard that Meyer had a mount for the hydraulic pump that would bolt in where the air conditioner was. Any idea where to find one? Do you know of a v-belt pulley that will piggy back onto my water pump or power steering pump? Or is there a serpentine pulley that will replace the v-belt pulley on the hydraulic pump?

Thank you in advancd for any help.

Tom

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. akgloomis

akgloomis Junior Member

Meyer only offered a EZ Mount plow for the 92' and up Ford. There was significant changes to the Ford frame that will make trying to adapt the conventional mount (17081) to the newer frame, but if there is a will...there is a way naturally:) . If you where to use the newer style mount it will require a 17098, 11255 and a 13612 A-fame to make the conversion.

as for the underhood hydraulics, what motor do you have in that truck? I have several old underhood engine kits that I would LOVE to part with for a good price.

3. gustang818

gustang818 Junior Member

Thanks for the response. Just so I know what I'm getting into, what are the changes to the frame? I wouldn't mind using a newer style mount and A-frame if I could avoid spending more on them than I have in the truck and plow. I don't need anything too fancy since this truck will probably be used 3-5 times per year for plowing.

I have a 5.8L (351W) engine in the truck. I have a pump with the V-belt bracket. I would like to use a serpentine pulley and mount the pump where the a/c compressor was. Do you have something like that?

4. akgloomis

akgloomis Junior Member

The style of the frame changed, the front half is made some what like an accordian for crash purposes, this makes for attaching the old style lift frame tough and not a lot of structure since it is designed to fold up.

As for underhood hydraulics, what Meyer use to use was a single v belt set up and a pulley that mounts inside the crank pulley. The pump bracket mounts to the front of the block. Unfortunately I don't have anything with a serpantine belt other than clutch pumps, a clutch pump would be the only way I know to make that happen, but then you are looking at a pretty large expense to do that and a way over kill for a p/u plow.

5. gustang818

gustang818 Junior Member

How about using another power steering pump with serpentine pulley? Would the pressure output be too high/low to work the lift cylinder?

6. akgloomis

akgloomis Junior Member

You could do that, the old Dodge Snow Fighters used a power steering pump to run them. You will have to try and come up with a way to mount a secondary pump on there though, I don't know if there are any power steering pumps available to mount to a motor all ready having one. That would be worth looking into though for sure.

You are going to also have to come up with a crank pulley to go inside of the factory one, you should be able to get that from anyone that makes clutch pump mounting kits.

7. gustang818

gustang818 Junior Member

I'm thinking with the serpentine belt I can mount the second pump either where the a/c goes (top drivers side) or where the air pump goes (bottom passenger side). I would have to fab some brackets and probably have to get a different length belt. The air pump location might be the better of the two. I see that there are p/s pumps that do not have reservoirs and I could just use the hydraulic tank as a remote reservoir.

8. akgloomis

akgloomis Junior Member

I don't see a problem with doing it that way at all. And if you get a p/s pump that doesn't have resv. you can very easily have a remote tank.

9. gustang818

gustang818 Junior Member

I'm thinking I may have a '91 and earlier frame underneath this thing. I was able to get a good look at it this morning in daylight and there is no accordian frame. The previous owner bought it at a police auction (it shows up on the Sec'y of State website as being sold at police auction Feb 1st). He didn't know the history but the cab had definitely been changed at some time in the past. Maybe I caught a break?

I'm going to pick up the '91 and earlier mount. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Tom

10. gustang818

gustang818 Junior Member

Just as an update, I got a power steeing pump from a 1989 Pontiac Lemans 2.0 for use as a hydraulic pump. It is the GM type 2 remote reservoir pump and came with the serpentine pulley and the original bracket. It was $35 at the wrecking yard. It's just a tiny thing and I shouldn't have too much trouble fabbing a bracket. I think I can mount it where the air pump was.